Efficient access to Loch Rannoch when flying from abroad (no car)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I'm trying to plan a short (4-5 days all included) hike in Perthshire, probably around Loch Rannoch/Glen Lyon. I will be coming from Paris, France.

I have quite a few web sites bookmarked and some map info already but could use local knowledge to optimize the trip. Depending on flying costs I might arrive from Edimburgh or Glasgow, not sure yet. From there I would take a train but not sure what the best place would be to step down and start the walk without loosing too much time.

I understand "Rannoch Station" could be a good starting point? Then go along the south bank of Loch Rannoch and down to Carn Mairg?

Any suggestion or tip?

Cheers

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Pierr

Both Rannoch station and Corrour are good starting points though more for the hills around Ben Alder then those in Glen Lyon. Rannoch has a hotel and Corrour has a new Youth Hostel. From your OP it looks like you intended to go East and head for Pitlochry to return to Edinburgh?
This might work but the Rannoch line comes out of Glasgow where as Pitlochry comes out from Edinburgh, which makes the route a bit more difficult.
If you want to go hill walking Corrour would be the better option as you can do around 20 Munro's from here (Scottish Mtns over 914m's) and the YHA would be a good base then you could camp for some nights. Hope this helps, if you have more ideas fire away.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
One possibility is Corrour Sation to Fort William - there is a railway station at each end. There is a good trip report here: http://www.qsl.net/g3cwi/mamore.html by a backpacking radio amateur.

Rannoch moor is pretty midgie in the summer.

Rannoch Station is a good jumping off point for the moor, or with considerable walking you could head north towards Ben Alder, where there is a very good bothy for a free night's sleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE