een making some stuff! Kuksa, coffee scoop and net needle.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thought I would share some pics of some of the things I've been making seeing as you guys all take the time to do the same.

new made stuff october 2013 002 (550x413).jpg

new made stuff october 2013 004.jpg

This went a bit mouldy after trying the boiling method. So I boiled it again and with vinegar but with no success. Carved most of it off. I got it whilst camping at Loch an Eilein this year so it brings back lots of memories. Still needs to be 'seasoned' with a silver coin, black coffee and whisky!

new made stuff october 2013 005 (550x375).jpg

Net needle made from cow shin bone. Local butcher/free of charge. It's a lovely tactile piece but a little too small for a purse net. (I get a little anal about joins in the net for some reason)

new made stuff october 2013 006 (550x277).jpgnew made stuff october 2013 009 (550x450).jpg

the one at the back I posted before. The middle is from apple and the front one is the same holly (very dry) as the first one.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Those are all very nice indeed, but the scoop in the front, the newer Holly one, looks really special; that's a nice bit of design.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers. It's actually the same one turned upside down!

There was a hole in the bottom of it (natural fault) that I filled with epoxy and powdered brass.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks Mac. That design is 'sheer chance/accident'.

I'd love to say I set out to make it that way. It might appeal to pipe smokers!

Need to try a kuksa in the same style I think.
(oh, sorry guys.....forgot to add smilies.......:lmao::lmao::lmao:.....)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
All of the carvings of my own that I think of as special and have a fondness for are those which "just turned out that way"...............I like to start on a piece of wood and allow it to tell me what it wants to be.......

Of course, there are also times when you just need to make a tool and that's it, that's utilitarian work and very satisfying, but not the same as the fun stuff! Keep up the good work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE