Edwardian Farm, traditional crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ooh missed the christmas one, watched the phamacy quite religiously and caught most of the vic farm. enjoying this one already ;)

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
all 3 (+.5) series have been excellent. We didn't have a DVD player when the 1st one came out and I had to buy it on video. I think I wore out the tape I watched it so much. Brilliant stuff, worth the licence fee (almost...)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Tails from the Green Valley was excellent, and very much archaeologically/historically based - the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Green-Valley-Reconstruction-17th-century/dp/1905223137/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290194379&sr=8-6 relating the background to the original project and the TV series looks extremely interesting (although I know my wife isn't going to let me have another archaeology book and its £25 in paperback if you can get it!). Oxbow Books are taking orders for a reprint at £19.95 http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/86343/OnlyResult/Yes .

If you want to know more about the Green Valley period, Stuart Peachey (one of the presenters) was heavily involved in the project, and has an excellent website http://www.stuart-hmaltd.com/ with all sorts of lovely things to buy (sheep skins!).
Chloe Spencer is now something in the City, which means she is making far more more money than the average Archaeology graduate (which isn't difficult, looking at how the rest of us end up).

Victorian Farm was also very good, and showed the sort of backbreaking work which rural workers undertook every day. I was a bit worried that the Edwardian period would be a bit similar to the Victorian, and that they were flogging the concept to death, but there are plenty of new angles. Of course all the presenters are historians or archaeologists, so I suspect they want to show the past rather than act out a script.

Victorian High Street - rubbish.

I must admit to being more of a Alice Roberts man myself....a doctor, archaeologist and yummy. What more could you want? Apart from Mishal Husain of course...

How long before someone on this thread declares undying love for Julia Bradbury?

Last edited:

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I really liked the tales from the Green Valley. The Victorian farm was too modern for me. The Edwardian one seems too close to the Victorian one. I'd be interested if they went farther back in time, say recreating medieval period, or perhaps earlier. Though perhaps there would be as little difference between medieval farming and Stuart farming as between Victorian and Edwardian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE