Edwardian Farm, traditional crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Did anyone else watch Edwardian farm? I really enjoy these series, within the constraints of modern TV I think they do a good job of presenting an interesting mix of crafts, farming and domestic practices.

Alex Langlands is patron of the Heritage Crafts Association and will be talking about his experiences on Edwardian Farm at the V&A conference in March. More background info on some of the crafts on the traditional crafts blog here.

and if you missed it you can watch on iplayer here

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Yeah it's really good. For a second I thought alex was actually going to use the chicken to clean the chimney.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Watching it here too,
I pick up all sorts of ideas from programs like this, though I'm not sure that I'd get away with putting one of my chickens down the chimney to clean it!

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have to have my fix of Ruth :). I learn something from each of the series and eagerly look forward to the next episode. I still go back to "Tales of the Green Valley" now and again - still the best to my mind

Red

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Its a good programme and I live round where they filmed it, in one episode they pick cherries at my mates farm

They really wanted to make a ladder to pick the cherries but there is no one left making wooden ladders, it was a big craft that disappeared overnight when aluminum ladders came in. Many of the old wooden ladders left in museums are getting on and I am sure there would be a market for someone to set up as the only wooden laddermaker in the country.

I had fascinating corespondence with one of the last laddermakers a while ago detailing the procedures and history. http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/01/more-crafts-traditional-ladder-maker.html

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
:+1 to all the above comments; a consistantly excellent series, we all love it in the Magentus household.
Yeah it's really good. For a second I thought alex was actually going to use the chicken to clean the chimney.
I'm glad he didn't; my daughter would definately have wanted to subject one of our chooks to that 'in the name of historical science'.

Have to have my fix of Ruth
There's something about Ruth isn't there? I feel the same about Alice Roberts.:)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I hope it will be good, and I want it to be, but I was beginning to feel after the first episode that perhaps they are spinning out what was a very good idea beyond its useful lifespan. Then again, I've only recently gone through the DVD collection of Green Valley and Victorian Farm that I got for my birthday a couple of months ago, so perhaps I'm sated at the moment.

Having said all that, I'd rather be a fly on the wall for these three than for any of the other so-called reality TV programmes. They might get fed up at times, but they aren't whingeing whiners.

Geoff

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i loved the rag rug! and it was interesting to finally see a lime kiln working, really enjoyed that, also the haystack answered so many questions about those old pillar stones!
:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have known Ruth 15 years through her re enactment work with Hubby Mark and the Tudor Group but can honestly say I have never quite thought of her in those terms. :)

Always preferred a real woman to a shiny bauble. I think Ruth is great and just what a man needs - a proper partner in life with knowledge and skill, humour and looks. Mark is a lucky man - although my BB is cut from the same cloth so I count myself as equally fortunate :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
How many of these series are there? - I rather enjoyed the last one. watching the Edwardian one on Iplayer at the moment.

Andy

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
How many of these series are there? - I rather enjoyed the last one. watching the Edwardian one on Iplayer at the moment.

Andy

There is a Tudor one, 'Tales from the Green Valley' and a Victorian one............. wait for it,'The Victorian Farm' too. Both are available on DVD and are excellent.

Magentus

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Always preferred a real woman to a shiny bauble. I think Ruth is great and just what a man needs - a proper partner in life with knowledge and skill, humour and looks. Mark is a lucky man - although my BB is cut from the same cloth so I count myself as equally fortunate :)

I have seen photos of your better half - if she is as practical as she is attractive then you have a real keeper there!
Lucky devil you are!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There is a Tudor one, 'Tales from the Green Valley' and a Victorian one............. wait for it,'The Victorian Farm' too. Both are available on DVD and are excellent.

Magentus

I enjoyed the Victorian one! I think I caught an episode of the Tudor one a few years back. It was quite good too!

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE