edc multi tool or knife ?

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all been away for a while as been doing alot to the house and still not been away camping yet :( plan on going very soon maybe to brockwell woods that iv heard so much about sounds great, anyway i want a edc pocket tool but cannot make my mind up i like the look of the gerber dime watched loads of vids and looks good but i also love the look of certain knifes like the boker plus subcom, i am mechanic so maybe a multitool would be better also want it to be uk legal and i think that is, just something about them little knifes i like even if not very practical.

anyone had a dime ? does the black paint wear off ? found one on offer for £16

Thanks Dean

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Not personally had a Dime but in terms of praticality I think for your profession a multi-tool EDC would be best as you have viable reason for carrying it due to your profession and it should be practical enough for use whilst out in the woods

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
yeah thats what is was thinking aswel even though love the little knifes like that lol u think the red and black gerber dime or the black one ? only think is i like everything in good condition so if the black one wears and turns silver that will bug me but the red one is all stainless silver anyway ?thanks dean

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
There arent many UK legal multitools out there - I've got a SOG Paratool which I carry (non locking blades), but I usually carry a knife instead. The Boker Sub-com is a great little knife, I've got the Ti version and must say it punches well above its weight for a small knife. I can also highly recommend the Boker Plus XS (its a bit tactical looking though, but UK legal and only £35) its a lovely solid knife with a titanium coated blade (hasnt come off), mines been used and abused for the last year including being used as a pry bar and is still in mint condition.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Anything coloured on a tool will wear if it sees a lot of use. If it's going to bug you then don't buy it. You can get many non-coloured multi-tools, for example all stainless, or stainless and titanium or perhaps aluminium. Even so aluminium will probably be anodized and that wears. Many of the colored handles etc. are probably coloured by anodizing.

I agree that a multi-tool seems to fit your situation well. Most of the time when I'm camping it's all I carry on me. the things that see most use are the knife blade(s) of course, the pliers and the saw.

I wouldn't consider a multi-tool that doesn't have a saw. I find an awl very useful. I'd cheerfully swap the scissors on my Charge TTi for a decent pair of tweezers. Sometimes I miss the serrated blade on my Victorinox SwissTool if I'm carrying the Leatherman but I can manage without it.

To be perfectly honest the designs of some of the Gerber range leave me a little frustrated, irritated or just puzzled but they do have the odd redeeming feature.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I got a gerber flik fish through today itll fit in my pocket, got the standard utilitys such as blade and serated blade instead of having a saw its got the scissors that cut 550 paracord no problem, and obviously perfect for anything fishing, long nosed plyers, the file with the alternate side dedicated to a hook sharpener, got the screw driver bits can opener and the ability to use the gerber bit set for more bits, its got the everything needed for whatever random tasks needed doing that youre likely to need to do, and will go down well with some fishing. Its got crimpers too.
And seems heavy duty to last me as an edc for a while, dont think ill need to carry anything else for any other reason. I have the back paxe and a gerber lmf ii for hiking

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
yeah that heinnie website is great i was looking earlier like i say love the look of the boker knifes but not sure if will use it much , so will have a look at the muti tools the gerber dime is only £16 thats all cannot go wrong, the black one looks great but like u say will wear so still deciding,

thanks for the help everyone will have a bit more of a look

Thanks Dean

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Unfortunately even the bigger pocket and even full sized multi-tools aren't really up to much.

They're great for the odd job every now and then, but for professional and regular use they're very very poor.
The smaller keychain style like the dime are even worse.

Not only are the tools ergonomically difficult to use for any more than a a couple of mins, the tools really lack any quality, the screwdrivers round off easily, the wire cutters blunt etc etc.

For the odd job and emergency use though they're just about ok.

I have the Leatherman Charge Tti
IMG_8780.jpg

And the Sketetool CX
IMG_8779.jpg

The Charge is the toughest i've found so far and the screwdriver bits aren't bad at all, it's still ergonomically terrible to use for anything more than a couple of mins, but then if you the option of the correct tool you wouldn't be using it.

Main problem with the Charge is the weight, there's no way i'd lug one around daily, it's a big heavy tool.

The Skeletool CX is a decent compromise, i carry this daily and it's light enough that i don't notice it, and although it has no where near as many tools as the charge the ones it does have are very useful.

I know knife laws are tricky, but i've been carrying the Skeletool CX for a few years now without any problems.
I think it'd have to be a pretty anal cop to say anything about a knife on a multi-tool or you'd have to be doing something pretty pretty to show up on their radar.

If it is a worry something like the Style PS might be worth considering
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

It's small enough to fit on your keyring, has no blade and is harmless enough to be allowed to be carried on a plane.
You really wouldn't want to be using it for long though, ergonomically it's pretty rubbish and i said before the tools are pretty poor for tough jobs.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Cbr6f, leathermans for me are overpriced. Gerbers are far easier on the pocket and perform just as well. The SOG multitools on the other hand are in another league. The wire cutters do work, as good And better than 'real' ones because of their geared mechanism.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE