ebay spoof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
way off topic, but i know a lot of you use the old ebay extensively, so worth a post.
Just beware of any email coming in shortly about verifying your username / pwd

Same deal as usual, take you to a spoof site to harvest details.
i know some of us get these (along with paypal / online banking sites ) , but this one has done quite a good job of copying the site on it.

cheers
Carlo

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Also...

Never trust the URL at the top of your web browser, I was recently given a demo of a security issue found in many web browsers where once you had clicked to the dodgy site it messed with your browser to make it show the url address you'd expect to see from the real site!

This is only an issue if you click on the dodgy link first though.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
ebay has started using its own messages instead of emails

when you sign in you will see a panel displaying my alerts and messages

everything else i forward to spoof@ebay.com just to let them know what scams are running at the moment

firefox users can download an addon called spoof stick which alerts you to the fact that a site you are at is not the site you wanted to go to
http://www.corestreet.com/spoofstick/

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I just noticed they now do a version for Internet explorer :D

slimey spybot rocks too , one of those programs every home user should have installed, and it is free

Tant

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Good heads up Giancarlo. I am extremely careful generally on the net but was caught out myself by a very well created spoof email and had my ebay account hacked. Luckily ebay were very quick to close it automatically and no damage was caused. BUT I immedtiately updated and changed all my passwords and never use the same pass for sensitive sites as a result, except for low level security sites.

The email was even specifically targeted to a Ray Mears book I had been 'Watching' and they had hacked into the guys account and actually emailed all 'Watchers' offering at a good price so it was not even a generic phishing email!

I always use the ebay internal messaging service now to be extra sure.

Luckily I use a Mac so do not suffer from spyware or viruses like you PC boys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE