Easy reliable fire lighting at home

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All through Autumn and Winter we heat and cook on wood. We have been asked many times to film exactly how we do that & we have finally caved :)

In this modern world of induction hobs and fan assisted ovens we decided to start the series with an explanation of easy, reliable fire lighting.

Most of this is probably old news to the pyromaniacs of this forum but it might give ten minutes of amusement :campfire:

Reactions: Falstaff

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
" I've taken the Pith" ha hah, had to laugh at that. I was expecting to see how to light and use a range, as I've no idea, even though I sometimes sweep them. Just have to wait for the next "Tube" then.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
" I've taken the Pith" ha hah, had to laugh at that. I was expecting to see how to light and use a range, as I've no idea, even though I sometimes sweep them. Just have to wait for the next "Tube" then.
Yup, next episode. We felt it important to cover basic fire lighting first. You would be amazed at the people who stack full sized logs on top of firelighters (or, given your job, perhaps you wouldn't)?

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Yup, next episode. We felt it important to cover basic fire lighting first. You would be amazed at the people who stack full sized logs on top of firelighters (or, given your job, perhaps you wouldn't)?
Yup, had one last week, just couldn't understand. Started trying to tell me the stove I fitted was faulty!! I showed them the "scandanavian" method with logs at the bottom and the jenga pile of kindling and firelighter at the top. Works every time, should've seen their faces!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, had one last week, just couldn't understand. Started trying to tell me the stove I fitted was faulty!! I showed them the "scandanavian" method with logs at the bottom and the jenga pile of kindling and firelighter at the top. Works every time, should've seen their faces!
I tried explaining why warming a flue works once.

I now understand the term "eyes glazing over" :happy:

• Love
Reactions: Falstaff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE