Wood burning at campsites - suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Imagine you're in a nice family campsite with all the facilities. You're sat around of an evening in the glorious weather that we get in the UK. Perhaps a libation too.

Suddenly you're missing something. Looking around you realise that by catering for your family with this holiday you're missing out on a sense of wildness, of getting back to old ways of camping out. You're missing man's red flower (reference made to a film most parents will know about).

So in a nice, manicured pitch with defined boundaries surrounded by neighbours you want fire. They're banned! Unless they're off the ground or some other means of preventing scorching of the grass. Fire bowls, wood burners, BBQs, etc. What's a good bit of kit to take?

Now I'm sure most parents out there will know that even the smallest of children take up more car.space than two adults. That means with camping kit as well car space is often hard to find for new kit...

It needs to be compact if possible!

I like wood gasifier type stoves but yet to own one. That's not good for campfire living. Hacienda do a £40 fire bowl on legs with accessories. The legs fold in. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-58106-Camping-Firebowl-Folding/dp/B00JQ9HNAQ?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00JQ9HNAQ&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=campfmagaz-21

What else is there?

BTW I own a honey stove but it's a pain to put together. I'd rather the product is very easy to set up.

What do you recommend?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't they just sit on the ground without any means to stop scorching of the grass? I need something that won't be banned at a camping and caravanning club site for example. Something that can go straight onto grass without damage or scorching.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Don't they just sit on the ground without any means to stop scorching of the grass? I need something that won't be banned at a camping and caravanning club site for example. Something that can go straight onto grass without damage or scorching.

The grilliput has little legs, I just sit it on something slightly off the floor, a few well chosen stones or sticks.

The tentipi is a little more awkward, but you can set up the cross pieces on 4 half bricks or similar to get it off the deck.

Heat tends to rise so as long as you're not crazy with the fuel you should be ok but you could always incorporate an old baking tray on a bit of bed mat underneath to stop scorching.
I tend to only camp where limited fires are allowed, but in my limited experience most people are more worried about excessive embers scorching tents than damage to grass.

You could always choose campsites that are more tolerant and/or provide fire pits.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
The little fold flat barbeque that loads of places do for about 12 quid does us fine! It's one of several options (naturally) but we have kept a decent blaze going for about 12 hours straight, cooked on it, all sorts and it's survived fine.
As others have said, stick some stones underneath, or preheat damp wood (just remember gloves to retrieve it) and it's been fine. Packs away to nothing as well.

1b1dc4658184a71b61ad84bfc827cd76.jpg

f5e3fe3941536485e456e8e53c962942.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Ikeas pasta strainer STABIL and a round pie pan under it to save the grass. It´s also pretty easy to put some bolts at the bottom so it gets up a bit from the ground. Not the most compact setup but it´s cheap and if one packs food etc inside it doesn´t take that much extra space.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
ced1e528fe9a3f42ba18c7c7e27f6d9b.jpg

I've got one of those too, 16.99 from Amazon. It's great and packs down really small just be careful to put something underneath as the ash falls through

https://youtu.be/TPgCCnkGnH4

Did a little video for my mate who was considering one

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE