Easy Fish Prep (DEAD ANIMALS)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
People often get a little concerned by the thought of filleting a fish. There is really no need. I will try and show you an easy way to do this in the wilds without the need for a filleting knife and with the minimum of food handling!

Firstly lay the fish on a flat surface and assemble your “tools” one knife is sufficiant! (I am testing these ones)

f01.jpg

On the underside of the fish you should be able to see the anal vent. Insert your knife at this point and make a clean cut level with the front fins of the fish.

F02.jpg

F03.jpg

Open the fish up and remove all of the organs

F04.jpg

F05.jpg

Clean out the fish with a quick rinse, the fish should look “Clean” and you should be able to see the rib cage.

F06.jpg

Now remove the head of the fish just behind the gills

F07.jpg

F08.jpg

Next remove the fins from the back and side of the fish

F09.jpg

Now make a small cut from the where the anal vent was the tip of the fishes tail.

f10.jpg

To remove the bones simply spread the fish out “Butterfly” style

F11.jpg

And push down along the spine of the fish with the palm or thumb (The full length of the fish)

F12.jpg

Now turn over the fish and take the “Head end” of the backbone and gently pull it upwards

F13.jpg

Pull with gentle pressure all the way to the tale and hey presto the whole backbone and ribcage should come free!

F14.jpg

F15.jpg

This works with most fish from salmon down to mackerel. Though particularly bony fish such as Pike may need additional preparation.

Hope this is help to someone!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Are those knives gonna stink of fish for the rest of the passaround?:rolleyes:

:D

Nicely done. I saw a clip of a trout being gutted in a remarkably efficient way, cutting from the vent all the way up as far as you can go, then cutting around the inside of the jaw bone, grab the tongue and bottom of the jaw, leaving the lower jawbone in place and pull. The guts come out in one go. Gotta get me some trout to give it a go, but the clip is from Ron Hood courtesy of the Cave Lady (Hubba Hubba!)

I'll see if I can find a clip, I'd never seen a fish being prepped like it before.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've had a look on the ususal places, not found anything close to what i described yet. I can't put the clip up from the film neither due to copyright. I may have to get hold of a trout and have a go at putting the clip up.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
If you re-size your pics to fit the frame your text wont get cut off on the right hand side.

Other than that, nice job matey!

I love Smackerel :)

B

bushyboo

nice one mate
a squirt of lemon juice gets rid of the smell ,its nice with the fish too

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Great tutorial. It's stuff like this that are making bcuk a valuable resource for years to come.

BTW, I can understand that you can clean the knives after use by rinsing them off, but how do you get rid of the mackeral smell from your cameras buttons?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE