Eastern European surplus bedrolls

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
After a very pleasant late night exchange of emails with Military Mart, I bought one of their mark 2 bedrolls, for about £15 or so. It arrived in very good nick, (although stinking of oil!) very quickly as ever.

I have found however, the wad padding VERY thin.
Option 1 is to put a self inflating mat in the full length sleeve. It works, but then so would spreading a cotton sheet on the self inflator?

Option 2 would be trying to wash it in the hope of lofting up what padding there is.
Any thoughts or advice? Would it make what there is, just go lumpier? Has anyone bought one and done this???

Many thanks ��

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I ordered one of the bed rolls with the blanket inside. Not bad for £9, but hopeless for any use i planned for it, i gave it to a food bank type place.

Tonyuk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I was just looking at them this morning, I used to have one but moved it on, they are ok, just too big for my liking.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I've just had one delivered this morning. No oil smell which is good. Seems like it's going to be fine for me.
Could always stick a self inflator inside the pocket. I'll try both and see how I get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
That's the problem with buying 2nd hand, i've had this problem a lot of times.
I'd be suprised if it's cotton wadding, it's more likely to be polyester the cheap fibre you get in duvets and pillows.

it's possible it was made then stored for years and the fibres have never got the chance to fluff up, you could try putting it in a tumbledrier on cold and the fibres may "fluff".

also the fibres may be damaged beyond repair, again due to storage. (The best way to store a sleeping bag is NOT rolled up, but lying out flat, but few people have the space to do this).

If you are feeling crafty, you could try to replace the fibre with something better like a hollow fibre from a modern duvet or sleeping bag. but that will take time and requires sewing skills.

I tried to replace the feathers from a 58 sleeping bag with duvet fibres, it sort of worked but it was difficult. to keep everything the same shape.

Hope you find a solution.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Its fine for an under blanket on a hammock, but not a lot else. If you stick a sim in the pocket insert, you might just as well chuck a cheap sheet or blanket on a sim instead, for less money?

A more versatile piece maybe the bedroll/ bag advertised by one army on amazon (Czech officers bedroll/sleeping bag) but I feel is a little pricey at £35

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I ordered one of the bed rolls with the blanket inside. Not bad for £9, but hopeless for any use i planned for it, i gave it to a food bank type place.

Tonyuk

Love those, so versatile and cheap. So adaptable, except for backpacking!
Now have two........

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am getting a bit confused here are people talking about the Czech bedroll which is not bad for the money but not really comparable with a three season sleeping bag and bivvy bag, or the Polish Sleepmat? I mean it is all Eastern Europe where the Yugoslavian haversack keeps company with the Russian gymnasterka. BTW did anything good ever come out of Romania?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I am getting a bit confused here are people talking about the Czech bedroll which is not bad for the money but not really comparable with a three season sleeping bag and bivvy bag, or the Polish Sleepmat? I mean it is all Eastern Europe where the Yugoslavian haversack keeps company with the Russian gymnasterka. BTW did anything good ever come out of Romania?

One of the best things to come out of Romania is the E60 which takes you into Hungary..............lol

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

Each countries armed forces had own specific equipment, almost none was WP universal.
Cheap crap, as they had no money. The reason Cold War ended...

Romania is not a bad country. Excellent agriculture, hard working people. Mountains, lskes, rivers and forests Britain can only dream of, and more importantly, the freedom to walk and camp wherever you want!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk

Yes Laurentius, there has been some confused responses. My original post concerned a £15 Polish bedroll as supplied by MM
A reply ("blanket") is referring to the Czech army sleeping bag, also supplied by MM (personally I feel the latter item brilliant value for money if not backpacking.... and no not a 3season bag, although for £6 you can button in another blanket. Bloody heavy, then, but seriously warm!!)

The Czech Army Officers bedroll/sleeping bag is a third item (£35) offered by OneArmy on ebay, I think...... and its a monster piece of kit....curiosity got the better of me!!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE