East Anglia Group!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
my wife has been very brave and has decided to come along for one night :D , unfortunately it means i will also only be there for one night, which in turn :( stops me being able to give people lifts to or from the site as my children will be taking up the spare seats for the whole trip to the grandparents,

so sorry guy's but lifts are not an option from me this time, :(

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Is it possible to come Friday night? It would be much easier and cheaper for me if I could get the train to Bury Friday night and walk or get a bus or something to/near the site.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thank you very much :).

I'll make it late enough so that you don't have to put up with me for too long, and early enough so that it isn't a bother for said lift-er to collect me.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
I've just arrived back from the forest, after being out today and i'm afraid i've not had much luck in finding any decent birch bark. I've got enough to make a couple of containers, so could do a demostration. If anyone has any reasonably thick birch bark please do bring it.

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
Hi peeps, dont know if p.m.'s getting through! Could someone in the know p.m. me the directions to the site please? Also can biddlesby contact me to arrange his lift please, and also to Ranger Bob, i have some pretty thick birch bark, does it matter if its dry? Looking forward to the weekend, see y'all then!

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
The lift would be on Friday, at whatever time is convienent to the driver after 4'o'clock + however long the train takes (would be under an hour).

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
excellent! I shall endeavour to procure enough for the group ( no worries! ha ha, got secret stash!) I'm a bit confused about Biddlesby's lift perhaps he could contact me?

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I hope to be there on Sunday. If anyone sees someone (man and boy) in a Green and Silver L200 looking lost on Sunday please shout !!! :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi guy's looking forward to meeting the rest of you!

my wifes starting to worry now! :D but still looking forward to it!

I'll bring along some interesting bits of kit too like my underquilt.

two questions, when we get to the site do where should we park cars?
and how limited are the trees?
i will be making a tarp for my wife do i need to bring tent poles? or is it just strong hammock bearing trees in short supply?
cheers.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Oh, I thought perhaps you and jeremy were staying the previous night (friday) as well. It's going to be more difficult to come on the saturday but I'll sort it.

I will be sleeping on the ground under a tarp. Owing to the fact that the hammock- trees are not above suitable sleeping ground, I have previously hung a tent from a tree and used a tree with stick at the other end; the latter which I plan to be doing this weekend.

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
Rappleby,park up on the gravelled area just inside the double gates.We may be able to park nearer to our site,it just depends how the rest of the site is laid out on the day(i.e.where the scouts are.)We should be able to unload nearer even if we then have to move our vehicles back to the main parking area later.
As for trees-the site is mainly parkland once belonging to a big house therefore the trees are mostly in clumps & of some girth.There is a former shelter belt of Scot's Pine & Larch which provide the most suitable support for hammocks & tarps but they are at 90' to our main fire site so you are likely to be some distance from the hub(you may,of course,not mind this!)The ground beneath these trees is quite soft-something that the local rabbits have made the most of!!
Having said all of this I've enjoyed a few good nights sleep here under a variety of set ups-come with an open mind(and perhaps some poles!) :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
thanks for that jim,
i think will as you suggest bring tent poles anyway.
i shall bring my hennasey for people to look at but not to sleep in.
the weather forecast says no rain! :D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hope to see you all over the weekend, my wife and i will be there ASAP but i'm not sure of an exact time but i should be early morning.

by the way we have our fish fresh from tescos! and are ready to be shown what to do!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE