Earthquake, north Wales 29/5/13

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Did anyone else here feel the earthquake this morning? I was awoken this morning by a door that was vibrating violently. I was convinced that someone was trying to break into my house so I snuck out of the back door dressed only in a pair of skids and a pair of clogs. I also collected a billhook from the fireplace on the way out. I found no sign of any intruder so went back to bed. I was going to report the incident to the police but fortunately I saw an article on the BBC website about the quake so I saved myself the embarrassment.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not that far from me and didnt hear or feel a thing. Saying that the epicentre would have to be directly under my bed to wake me at that time.

So clogs, undies and a billhook? That must have been a scary sight!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm, I and both cats woke up quite sharply at about 4am, wondering what was going on. There was apparently nothing so we all went back to sleep ... must be quite a way from the epicentre though here in Hereford ...

You felt a disturbance in the force...

[video=youtube;hC71BXe6A74]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC71BXe6A74[/video]

xylaria

didn't feel thing down here.

I remember an earthquake when the kids were small, my daughter woke up and yelled that there was monster shaking the bed. Apart from very slighty un-nerved there was no way I knew it was a quake until I saw the news the next day.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm glad there were no injuries or damage. Do they happen often? I don't remember any while I was in England.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I woke up at about that time - but then I often wake several times in the night...
We get a fair few quakes in Britain but more than a few chimneys falling damage is rare :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
They're more common than folk think in the UK but usually so mild that folk either don't know or don't notice them. Up here in Scotland I've experienced them in Crail in Fife and here in Perthshire where I'm not far away from the famous Comrie Earthquake House. LINK

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The earth moved for the wife and I on Tuesday but the meal I made prior to our personal event was superb and the wine wonderful so not a surprise really.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
945053_4208912120668_940979431_n.jpg

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
didn't feel that one, but I have felt 2 before, the Dudley one of 2003 and the Humber one of 2008, both where unmistakable ground shaking, makes you realise the position of man on the crust of the earth, and the mentality of people from earthquake zones. Does anyone from North Wales remember the 1984 5.4 llyn Peninsula one, the biggest onshore Uk earthquake

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I recall that one - even in Pembs we felt the ground shake!
The worst one I have experienced was in the Spanish Pyranees when I was about 11 ... the village just over the ridge from us was flattened.
Europe has its share of Quakes!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yes I remember that one, I was still in bed when my father burst in saying don't panic - 'it's only an earthquake'. I cant remember if his comments put my mind to rest or not ?

didn't feel that one, but I have felt 2 before, the Dudley one of 2003 and the Humber one of 2008, both where unmistakable ground shaking, makes you realise the position of man on the crust of the earth, and the mentality of people from earthquake zones. Does anyone from North Wales remember the 1984 5.4 llyn Peninsula one, the biggest onshore Uk earthquake

Bushmanron

Mar 26, 2013
Coventry
never felt it in coventry. the only time i witnessed on here the wardrobe door opened my wife and i thought we were being haunted untill we heard there was and earth quake in the middle of the night. lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE