Earth Day Project for Camping/Backpacking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

Just a reminder that April 22 is Earth Day. The Earth Day events going on this week are exciting opportunities to meet new friends, learn about nature, and discover local resources available year-round.

Earth Day is also a chance to undertake projects of our own. Below is a simple, fun Earth Day project for backpacking I call the “Screen Door Food Filter.”

9-Screen.jpg

It helps you reduce your footprint when camping/backpacking in sensitive wilderness areas. It also helps keep critters (or worse) away from camp.

You pour dirty dish water through it to separate small food particles. You then transfer the food scraps into your trash bag (I use a dry-bag in bear country) to pack it out.

Happy Earth Day!

- Woodsorrel

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Interesting on the mesh. I use a bag filled with things like bracken, grass or charcoal from the fire to filter any "grey" water. Can also burn the filter material on the fire afterwards.
Good to folk taking care of their waste water though, it can make quite an impact on the environment.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Interesting on the mesh. I use a bag filled with things like bracken, grass or charcoal from the fire to filter any "grey" water. Can also burn the filter material on the fire afterwards.
Good to folk taking care of their waste water though, it can make quite an impact on the environment.

This is very interesting, Goatboy. I had never thought of this approach. Is the bag made from paper and also burned? If not, how do you keep it from becoming coated with food particles?

- Woodsorrel

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You can use what's to hand. A last resort is a plastic bag. Most have drain holes. Can then be used to carry out rubbish and other waste. Paper bag is possible but can end up becoming paper mache. A mesh plastic or hesian/sacking bag is best. Can be turned inside out anb scraped, then washed out, at home or in the camp. Most of the fiod waste gets stuck in the filler and it's pretty clear by the time it drains. Still avoid doing it next to water courses though. Cant take the credit myself it was a bunch from a BCUK Scottish meet that brought the princible to me. Have just refined it to.my needs. More planet friendly on bigger camps over a period of time. Tend to put all dish and admin water through it, really is amazing how much crud is collected over a few days.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry forgot to say in last post. My mate and usually.carry some gear in a mesh dittybag/stuffsack.
This can be used as a sieve/collander for draining things like rice, pasta or veg. Can also be used as a waste bag for grey water , takes up.no.extra space and is easily rinsed.
Like things to do more than one job. Saves weight, money and time... I am an east coast canny Scot after all :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE