dyeing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I 've recently bought a canvas and leather norwegian rucksack, OG canvas with white leather straps.

I want to dye the straps brown and I'm looking for ideas how to stop the canvas getting dyed at the same time.

I'm thinking masking tape with electrical tape over the top or similar for a non absorbent barrier, the masking tape should be a low enough tack to avoid leaving a sticky residure on the canvas.

Also I have some coloron walnut wood dye thats naptha based, if I was to mix some with olive oil to increase it viscosity would this dye damage the leather. if so then i'll use a proper leather dye.

Andy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I 've recently bought a canvas and leather norwegian rucksack, OG canvas with white leather straps.

I want to dye the straps brown and I'm looking for ideas how to stop the canvas getting dyed at the same time.

I'm thinking masking tape with electrical tape over the top or similar for a non absorbent barrier, the masking tape should be a low enough tack to avoid leaving a sticky residure on the canvas.

Also I have some coloron walnut wood dye thats naptha based, if I was to mix some with olive oil to increase it viscosity would this dye damage the leather. if so then i'll use a proper leather dye.

Andy

Andy

I just used cotton buds for the wee edges and the normal sponge for the straps.
I used saddle tan oil but wish i'd used dk brown really.

Mind you mine was well used,so wasn't fussed if I went of the leather much.

Tom.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Heh I'm a bot more of a fussy perfectionist I'm afraid, i really shouldnt let small screw ups bother me but they do, but I'm gonna try my masking tape idea.

Got any pics of the finished pack Barn Owl?

Incidentaly I found out naptha is used in shoe polish (60 -70% ) so i dont think it will harm the leather.

Andy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'll need to get my youngest to take some photos of that and some other things for this site with her phone.
I managed to drown my camera recently:eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Why not just use a small to medium paint brush?
you can get reasonable results if your careful
PA080011copyresized2.jpg

PA080012copyresized1.jpg

I did the fiddly bits and edges on this with a brush, I went off line a little but If I had taken my time a bit more, it would have been fine;)
cheers
R.B.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol

Andy
I've not tried it, but if you paint on hot wax and let it dry. that will be a waterproof and dye proof medium. Not sure if the wax will stain the canvas, you'd have to try some where out of sight first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE