Dutch 'zip down' Gen 1 side pouches - whats the velcro for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
as per title, i have a pair of dutch 'zip down' pouches for the sides of bergens etc.

I am wondering what the velcro is for on them?

See attached photos - from endicotts - iu have circled the velcro, left is loops and the right is the hooks - they are orientated in such a way that they dont 'naturally' line up.

just curious what they are for, as i am probably going to remove them, unless they are for something ultra useful i have realised :/

thanks

Ed
Dutch Gen-1 Side Pouch_1- resized.jpg

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
here are some more photos, it occurs to me that its for when they are zipped together and used with shoulder straps/yokes as a day sack, as the last pic shows. Dont know why that duidnt occur to me earlier!

they are definitely very very well added in or they went in at the factory - they are incorporated into the seams and these are bound inside aswell and covered in the waterproof layer stuff.

IMG_8919- resized.JPG IMG_8920- resized.JPGIMG_8921- resized.JPG IMG_8922- resized.JPG

Reactions: RonW

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
You beat me to it

I was thinking about how they would compare to UK mil version and thats immediatly what sprung to mind.

Probably intended as extra support to stop the weight in the pack pulling the zip apart.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

although weirldy its at the end of the zip - which is least lilely to come undone. Still seems the most likely use though, cheers

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Yes, they are to be connected in the way shown, when using them as a daypack.
Keeps the ends of the pack halves together, reducing tension on the zipper, but also for creating a more "solid" backside in general. We had them on our Vulcan II's in the day as well.

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE