Dutch Ovens - worth buying a carry bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'm about to order a dutch oven from Ronnie Sunshines... probably the 8 ltr version so we can cater for cub camp if needed.

Has anyone bought the carry bag for their oven? Is it worth it?

I figure I should be cleaning the oven after each camp, so it ought not to go in the car with ash all over it, but I'd also want something to keep it off damp grass overnight etc.

Bin bags would probably work but they're not particularly robust, and the oven will probably spend a fair amount of time in the loft between trips.

Update: thanks for all the advice!

I've added a few pics [here] to show the carry bag and the factory finish... will add some pics of the re-seasoning as I progress.

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I didnt buy one with mine, but have been thinking of getting one, it would keep the lid on the oven for transport & you could fill the oven with other kit to save on space. £10 is not too bad, I have been using bin bags to transport it but as you say they dont last. Once washed when I get home I store it without the bag & lid so it gets some air.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Cheers, just placed the order with the bag included so will see how it goes. I think you can probably use the bag to store cooking kit on camp as well, so it's probably worth £10.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We made a circular canvas bag and put a circle of thin plywood in the bottom to stop the lgegs rubbing through. Its proved great for keeping any ash and soot in one place..

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Well worth it for storage and I endorse the plywood base mentioned above. The whole caboodle is easier to store and move around. I drop the trivet inside together with whatever bread pans etc. Wrap a thin cloth around the pot to keep the dirt in then put the lid on so there is a gap. The pot can then 'breath' and not go off as they tend to when not used, The whole lot goes in the bag, zip around the top and a handle to pick up the ensemble and away.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over here I don't have Ronnie Sunshines but I do have a carry bag (a shaped cloth case actually) for my DO and I like it. However it's generally NOT a good idea to store the DO in one long term (as in your attic) They act as a wick to attract moisture from the air and hold it against the DO (just as storing a gun in a gun slip will do) It can be done successfully but make sure to take precautions to allow plenty of ventilation inside the cover. For that matter it's a good idea to place a rolled up paper towel between the DO & it's lid to wick moisture from the inside of the DO.

OOPS! Ian beat me to it.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks all - what's generally the best way to store a dutch oven? I'm in the UK (damp climate) and it would be mostly kept in an insulated but unheated loft.

I could leave it open to the air but it's quite dusty in the loft so it would probably end up covered in dust especially if it was oiled beforehand.

Would muslin or other breathable material work to wrap it in, or would that just suck up the water too?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a small cheap Czech army pack to keep my dutchie in, it's just big enough to squeeze my trivet in too, side pockets store my welders gauntlets and my air grill :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks all - what's generally the best way to store a dutch oven? I'm in the UK (damp climate) and it would be mostly kept in an insulated but unheated loft.

I could leave it open to the air but it's quite dusty in the loft so it would probably end up covered in dust especially if it was oiled beforehand.

Would muslin or other breathable material work to wrap it in, or would that just suck up the water too?

You can cover it or even store it in the case you referenced (I do with mine) Just be sure to make sure that it's well ventilated inside the case (and the inside of the oven as well) If you use it frequently it will get checked often; if not, make it a point to check it and wipe it with an oily cloth (cooking oil) every so often.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Excellent service from Ronnie Sunshines... oven arrived today, got here in the 1hr window they promised, first time I've ordered from them but so far am impressed.

Will add a couple of pics of the bag when I unpack it all later, then just need to work out which recipe to cook this weekend.

With the Ronnie Sunshine ovens is it still worth seasoning? They are "pre-seasoned" but I'm never 100% convinced that the factory treatment is as good as the vegetable oil and hot cooker option.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Lovely stuff - many thanks.

Weather looks OK tomorrow so I can leave the kitchen door and windows open to clear any smoke :)

Will try a straight series of seasoning first... not sure I want to be sanding out the bottom just yet but if it starts catching when I cook I'll head down to B&Q and grab an el cheapo sander to smooth out the bottom.

Was planning to use rapeseed oil... quite a few american sites recommend either crisco (trex over here) or canola (rapeseed).

I believe rapeseed has a higher smoke point than sunflower oil, so should be more effective (certainly much higher smoke point that olive oil?).

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lovely stuff - many thanks.

Weather looks OK tomorrow so I can leave the kitchen door and windows open to clear any smoke :)

Will try a straight series of seasoning first... not sure I want to be sanding out the bottom just yet but if it starts catching when I cook I'll head down to B&Q and grab an el cheapo sander to smooth out the bottom.

Was planning to use rapeseed oil... quite a few american sites recommend either crisco (trex over here) or canola (rapeseed).

I believe rapeseed has a higher smoke point than sunflower oil, so should be more effective (certainly much higher smoke point that olive oil?).

If no one who's going to be eating from i has allergies, then peanut oil will have the highest smoke point at an affordable price.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Slightly off-topic now but do people allergic to nuts generally react to peanuts too, given than peanuts are not "real" nuts (are they more like peas?)

I can't imagine much of the active "nutty" compounds are left after a good heating at 250C in any case?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE