Dutch army gore-tex liner

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Good morning guys! It's 07.45 here in beautiful B.C. *slurps coffee*

Got a question to ask: How good are the dutch army gore-tex liners? I saw one on the SASS website for a reasonable price. (I think I can handle the exchange rate)

How durable are they?

How do they attach to a jacket?

If I was to wear one under my Ventile anorak/parka/jacket/whatever it is how much of a difference does it make?

Worth paying for? Or not?

Cheers,

Adam-who-will-now-stop-making-fun-of-merino-wool-underwear :rolleyes:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
addyb said:
Good morning guys! It's 07.45 here in beautiful B.C. *slurps coffee*

Dude, behave!! ;) It's 08.22 (at the moment of typing) in beautiful Holland *slurps coco* :p

addyb said:
Got a question to ask: How good are the dutch army gore-tex liners? I saw one on the SASS website for a reasonable price. (I think I can handle the exchange rate)

I considered buying one myself last winter, as a liner in my Arktis windproof smock. Spoke with a guy who used them when he was in the military, and he found them cr*p. He told me he got wet in them several times, and therefor bought his own Arktis liner (Rainshield).

Personally I haven't got any experience with them - but perhaps some lads overhere have ...

addyb said:
How durable are they?

Dunno ... :eek: But since the are (where?? They could have been dumped by the army, heard something about some new and flashy wind- and waterproof smocks) army issue - they should be squaddie proof ... But concerning the above story I wouldn't place my bets on it.

addyb said:
How do they attach to a jacket?

You simply wear them underneath your smock / jacket. IIRC they are button in liners.

addyb said:
If I was to wear one under my Ventile anorak/parka/jacket/whatever it is how much of a difference does it make?

You do love to ask some hard questions in the early morning, don't you?! ;)
Can't help you with that one ... haven't got any experience with Ventile, but lots of the others do have :D (Come on guys, new Ventile thread! :p)

addyb said:
Worth paying for? Or not? IIRC they are about 20 US dollar

About 20 US dollar? If you don't like it, you could always sell it on e-bay! Just make sure you forget to type the last "S" :D ;)

addyb said:
Cheers,

Adam-who-will-now-stop-making-fun-of-merino-wool-underwear :rolleyes:

Merino wool? Hmm I'm of to read that thread :D :p (missed that one).

Hope this helps mate!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have used one under a Soldieer 95 jacket which is not waterproof at all. I was out in some really wet weather and never got wet so I really rate them highly.

I have managed to get a SASS jacket and will put buttons in it for the liner. It really adds no real weight at all and although not very robust it is protected by the jacket it is fittel to.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
As far as I'm aware SASS have modified their gortex liner by adding a pertex lining (I don't think the standard Dutch issue one has pertex? .... I could be wrong) and extra buttons on the front so you can use it as an “independent layer" under your jacket (and hence you don't have to sew extra buttons onto your smock).

The Arktis rainshield on the other hand has a hood, pockets and zip front with storm flap so in theory it could be used as a stand alone jacket as well as a smock liner. However, I have no idea on the breathable properties of the fabric compared to gortex.

It might also be useful to keep your eyes peeled for the Canadian Forces "stealth suit" ..... no it doesn't make you invisible ....... it's a kind of fancy new event/gortex paclite jacket that’s been designed to be a standalone jacket/smock liner and is just coming into issue with their forces. It is getting rave reviews from the troops so it can't be too bad. Here is a wee pic of it in action.

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hi, is SASS a store or something else???
but stays the question, where do I get a (goretex) waterproof but breatheal liner from?
I cant find anything about SASS

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Chrisvreugd,

Drop me an email I have an as new Dutch Army coton camouflage jacket including the like new "Goretex" liner the size is XL and it will keep wind and water of your body :)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
MagiKelly said:
Mine came from SASS and they add a strip so you can button it shut. I would wear it under a jacket without it being buttened into the jacket but would not fancy wearing it on its own.

Does the pertex lining help with wicking at all (or is it just another insulative layer?)? In other words how does it perform if you are moving and sweating a bit?

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Old thread Revival....

What is the 2010 verdict on the Dutch Goretex Smock liner?

I like the idea of it for walking through trees/brush.

Is it a good buy? Does it make a jacket too hot when walking?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE