duke of edinburgh food??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Daveswan11,

I'm better at "show" than "tell". So given it was heading into April, we went bush for for our first long weekend from last Thursday to today.

I was interested in your "what shall I cook?" thread and thought...hows about a photo diary of my groups "camp cookery"?. Now I must confess we have our own bush friendly farmer and have a permanent firepit set up with a couple of old air conditioning grids over the pit. However we can (and have) done without those when in other places.

Everything you see here was "packed in". If twelve people share, its surprising what is manageable. Here was this weekeneds menu

Camp fire cookery. And no, no processed ingredients, no ration packs, no additives:

Lemon Chicken (Thursday's Tea)

BLT (Friday's Breakfast)

Chilli al la Red (Friday's Tea)

Cornish Pasties (home made of course) (Saturday's Lunch)

Game Casserole (Saturday's Tea) (yes, we did cook it, and we also had chilli chicken - both of which I was too busy to eat to photograph)

Thai Green Curry (Sunday Lunch)

Rounded off of course the appropriate way with Reds home made port - we aren't savages after all!

Anyone Hungry?

Red

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I think the aim of the "take out what you brought in" is to encourage both self reliance and a sense of environmental awareness. So much packaging is use with food that by introducing this kind of rule you can encourage some young people to be aware of this. It is also a good starting point for those young people who will go on to climb mountains and explore the wilder parts of this (and oyther) lands to take their rubbish home.

In Berkshire the DoE are running a "Golden Trangier" competition as part of the celebrations for the award. The most inventive meal cooked on a trangier will win (kind of "Master Chef" with gortex and fresh air!). One of our groups has already tried wild rabbit stew!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad to see people are still eating game!

If it helps - heres a few field game techiques we tried

First take one Jason (good shot that he is) and a couple of woodies!

On a wood pigeon, most of the edible meat is on the breast, so you can just skin and breast the bird, make 2 slits above the grion, push your thumbs in and split the skin up and away from the breast till it looks like this....

The dark bruise like areas are where the shot went in... make sure it comes out later (a good way to break a tooth if it doesn't)! Push the skin well back from the entire rib cag using your thumb.. it'll end up looking like this...

Slice the dark breast meat away from the rib cage - this actually needs two cuts to get all the good meat... something like this.........

Next take a decent sized rabbit.....shot or...wahtever else comes to hand.....joint up and add to the stew.....

Add spuds, onions, and a few carefully jointed bits of duck (thanks Jason) to the pot

Now thats okay for runny food. Me, I prefer my meat with the fat out and well grilled. Hmmm how do we achieve that without a grill? Well, first we pluck, clean and "spatchcock" the second pigeon (split up the breastbone).

Take a "Y shaped piece of green willow. Spiral the two long arms around each other to form the "frame" of a tennis racket. Weave more green willow and weave a "tennis racket". Place the pigeon on top and weave more willow over the top to keep in place.

Stake the "handle" of your "tennis racket" beside the fire do that the "head" of the "racket" hangs over the fire. turn every ten minutes. You can rub butter and herbs into the flesh andskin if you like. You should end up with something like this

Red

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
that is the most intricate way of spatchcocking a bird i've ever seen!!

it looks like you stood on the pigeon with a snow shoe :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

great piccies tho Red. your a man of many talents :notworthy

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Interesting ban on Army rations. One of our tasks for the bronze in the ATC was to do the walk 'unsupported' using only what we carried, including water, and to test different ration packs for the trip. The report on the usefulness of the food was part of our research phase. I seem to remember the German ones were the best :)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
British Red said:
Glad to see people are still eating game!

If it helps - heres a few field game techiques we tried

First take one Jason (good shot that he is) and a couple of woodies!

Etc.

Stake the "handle" of your "tennis racket" beside the fire do that the "head" of the "racket" hangs over the fire. turn every ten minutes. You can rub butter and herbs into the flesh andskin if you like. You should end up with something like this

Red

Great tutorial! Like your "tennis racket."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE