DSLR recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I have canon 1000D simpliest DSLR here are some pics that I shot with it :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/42460588@N07/ It is cheep and perfect for the beginner

Awesome pictures!
All taken with the 1000D??? Shows you don't need the most expensive camera to get nice shots! Expensive lenses maybe? Or a lot of work on the computer afterwards?

I'm also flirting with the idea of buying a good dslr and was leaning towards a Canon 7D or 40D, having big hands and finding the 400D not such a nice fit. But seeing what you get out of these, I'm not sure I could justify the price for essentially a bigger body... (don't really care about most other features)

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
I'm a professional photographer, and my advice is not to get hung up on the camera, just get something from ebay like a D70 or a 300 as teflon suggested.

As for RAW, don't bother. Amateurs are really hung up on raw shooting when they just do not need to be. Modern cameras can print jpegs upto A3 easily, Raw just means more disk space taken up with pixel information you'll rarely ever use.

Yes, if you blow highlights then you can often pull it back with a raw file, but then you shouldnt be blowing highlights in the first place. Ditto loss of shadow detail unless deliberate.

Bear in mind that memory card manufacturers and camera firms work hand in hand. larger images (megabytes wise) means more cards means more sales.

the bottom line for the majority of hobbyists is dont use raw, its a waste of disk space and time, and you just dont need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE