DSLR recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Why don't they have video functions? :confused:

I'm just curious. There's probably a very good reason, I just don't know it and it's a little annoying(as someone who punches the video button on a bridging camera quite often but would like to upgrade for lenses)

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Thanks, but I'm not actually looking - just laying out the possibilities for the original poster.

Yes sorry, I was getting carried away! Just answering for anyone listening I guess

I'm just curious. There's probably a very good reason, I just don't know it and it's a little annoying(as someone who punches the video button on a bridging camera quite often but would like to upgrade for lenses)

I think its all to do with downsizing the image to MP4 and the CPU power it takes to do this every second. They are now starting to release DSLR's that do video.

Apr 16, 2009
East Sussex
I'd go for a new Canon 1000d, great camera, I've just bought one myself, nice and compact battery lasts ages and picture quality is great, has live view, a self cleaning sensor and even a video function, although no mic. I've been a Canon user for years and just like the feel of them and If you have canon users in the family then you'll definitely be better off going for another one, you'll save a fortune in the long run being able to share and hand down accessories and lenses.
Best advice I can give though is to wander into Jessops (even if you're not buying from them) and have a feel of a few of the options, take a few snaps and see what you think.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Could not agree more, IMHO, the 1000d is a lot of camera for your money. I bought one earlier this year and been chuffed to bits with the ease of use and quality. Just remember to invest in plain glass /uv filter for your lens(es)- if you scratch it it's cheap to replace, the lens however......

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've ordered a Canon eos 1000d with 18-55 lens, 8 GB card and a bag

£397 all in:rolleyes:

It's all too easy:eek:

now then.....erm....cleaning kit, spare battery, spare card, a lens or two, a tripod, a bean bag etc etc etc:sulkoff:

sincere thanks to all for the advice

best wishes

Steve

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)

Some of them do but this a new breakthrough in DSLR technology. There were certain things to overcome before this was possible due to the way DSLRS work. In compact cameras it was an easy feature to install.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/microsite/d300s/en/

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1617/overview.html

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1788/overview.html

Note that these cameras record in HD video and not all allow AF function while filming.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Nice one Rebel.
Had got to the point of starting to price D5000s and lenses then realised it doesn't have a stitch assist function. Ba - humbug - use that almost as much as video mode. :rolleyes:

Figures I guess. A proper viewfinder wouldn't be able to display the assist the same way as an lcd or wee electronic viewfinder.
I know you dont need assist to take panoramas, sure does make life easy though.

Thanks for the explanation tjwuk, I get the idea.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well the camera arrived the other day and its a cracking tool.

I really started wishing I had opted for a full on upgrade, when I replaced my original Olympus 550UZ!:rolleyes:

There again; I'm reconciled with the fact that my 590UZ is a good size to cart about and there are no worries about storage for extra lenses, filters etc.

So thanks again to everyone who took time to offer advice and recommendations;)

atb

R.B.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
If you can shoot RAW? I was advised by a fellow NT volunteer warden who had just completed a digital photography course that RAW shots and follow-on processing with the software are the way to go for wildlife photography! Not tried it yet, anyone have experience of this?

Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I wouldn't pay too much attention to Ken Rockwell.

People shoot RAW because it's much higher quality than JPEG. This is an indisputable fact. They resolve more detail, give more colour depth and are more forgiving of user error among other things

However there are problems and Rockwell mentions some of them in his opinionated and obnoxious way. The files are bigger and take more time to process for example.

With a program such as Lightroom and a reasonably fast processor this isn't a problem at all. In fact the workflow with Lightroom makes dealing with RAW no slower than dealing with JPEGS.

For some more reasoned reading material of the pros and cons of RAW read:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/rawtruth1.shtml

http://reviews.photographyreview.com/blog/why-shoot-raw/

For me it depends on what I am shooting whether I chose JPEG or RAW. I generally use JPEGS for snaps, events and casual shooting. I use RAW when I think that I might want to keep the pictures for art or if I'm shooting a live stage event using the theatre lights (it makes a huge difference in quality over JPEG as I discovered from trying both).

With modern large memory cards and hard disk drives I could shoot RAW all the time and barely notice the overhead.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Thanks for the info, most of my shots are "snaps", casual or event shots so I will stick with JPEG for now at least till I've experimented with RAW and am happy with it.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Thanks for the info, most of my shots are "snaps", casual or event shots so I will stick with JPEG for now at least till I've experimented with RAW and am happy with it.

"Snaps" or not it's a good decision. Most problems are overcome with improved technique. Cheaper and faster too. 8]

edit: Just checked out Ken Rockwell. I like his style! Certainly knows his stuff.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I've taken Ken Rockwell's advice and bought an essentially new Nikon D40 on eBay as a present for my better half. It looks like a really nice piece of light(!) kit and I'm already loathe to hand it over!

The great thing is that Rockwell has loads of advice for this particular model on his site.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
I've heard the D40 is very good and often overlooked, though I've not used one as I already have a D70. Did buy a D200 for some work but have now decided enough is enough. I just don't see the advantage of upgrading anymore. Want to sell one actually (maybe both) and perhaps get a D40. 8] Have you used it yet?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE