Drying soaked outdoor gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
I usually fling gear over the shower curtain rail. When climbing over in scotland they didn't have a shower rail but a cool bathroom radiator/towel rail works just as good (just make sure it is off!) Both work good, until someone takes a shower...

And leave the window open a wee crack.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Like Toddy I was brought up in Scotland; though on the marginally drier east coast. A lot of houses had a kitchen pully which was great for drying laundry and would often be pressed into service to hang the jelly bag come berry season. :eek:

traditional-kitchen-maid-clothes-airer_MED.jpg
..."

I've got one of those both over here and over there, they came with the properties. However as our bathroom has no window as Macaroon has mentioned damp can be an issue, I'm looking into a big heated towel rail type thing, especially now that the gas people have condemned our bathroom heater.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The dehumidifier I spoke of….it's taking four litres of water a day out of the air in our house, even though it's only on for a few hours, and it's pumping out enough heat that we haven't had the heating on since we started using it. Costs well under 10p an hour to run. It really is a win/win. They say that it'll dry washing hanging on a winterdyke or pulley in the same room too.

Like this….
http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD8LJunior

Worth every penny we paid for it :D

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The dehumidifier I spoke of….it's taking four litres of water a day out of the air in our house, even though it's only on for a few hours, and it's pumping out enough heat that we haven't had the heating on since we started using it. Costs well under 10p an hour to run. It really is a win/win. They say that it'll dry washing hanging on a winterdyke or pulley in the same room too.

Like this….
http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD8LJunior

Worth every penny we paid for it :D

M

That looks like a really good domestic one; I have a damp problem at the moment (unrelated) and have been advised that this type of dessicant-based system is definitely the way to go. I'll look at one of these :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
If you are getting saturated clothes twice a day, I think you should invest in some good waterproofs. Then just give them a shake when you get home and you're done and ready for the next downpour.
I've got 'all the gear'. Paramo Halcon, Harkila Prohunter, Schoeffel Packaway, Ridge line Monsoon, Barbour Berwick Endurance and Flexothane jackets, all take in a fair amount of water. We get 60 - 80" of rain a year here.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I have a tumbler but it would baulk at the weight of the soaked Prohunter (and SWMBO and Sams gear) - also over trousers get really muddy and would make a mess.

I'll try one of the Gnu type airers - it's just a shame the fire we always light in an evening is in the living room. I normally transfer gear to hooks by the fire at bedtime but the airer will help spread them out.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks like a really good domestic one; I have a damp problem at the moment (unrelated) and have been advised that this type of dessicant-based system is definitely the way to go. I'll look at one of these :)

We have been astonished at just how much water it has taken out of the house. It smells of hot rocks when it's running, and though I can hear the fan, it's quiet like the cool one that's rarely used in summer. No more running condensation on the windows :D and cupboards that I was worrying were smelling on the verge of being foosty are now fresh again. I am quietly delighted that we bought it :D

M

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Ours is a Russell Hobbs 12l dehumidifier - it works well but is loud, might just try it in the bathroom when it rains next.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Without seeing how your lounge is laid out, this may not work... but we have a clothes horse that we put newspaper under... stand it in front of the log burner and it soon dries stuff off... or if its shoes, we stuff em with newspaper, sit them next to the fire.

Twice a day isn't too bad if its just yourself... middle of winter we have 2 adults and 3 kids piling in front of the fire with wet clothes.. but we have a big lounge that allows the room to do it.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Get yourself an old Aladdin paraffin room heater and stick it on low.
Ours has only got a one inch wick, it runs for a week on just over a fiver and is virtually odourless.
It keeps our boot room above outside temperature and with the window on vent keeps it mold and damp free too.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Posh people alway had a dryin room because of this very problem of damp in the Time before tumble driers, so how about a shed with a radiator/ wood burning/coal burning heater green house heater. Insulate it a bit and it should work, still it would have the same problem if the outside air is humid.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Get yourself an old Aladdin paraffin room heater and stick it on low.
Ours has only got a one inch wick, it runs for a week on just over a fiver and is virtually odourless.
It keeps our boot room above outside temperature and with the window on vent keeps it mold and damp free too.
Hadn't thought of the paraffin heater, used to have one in the bathroom and it was great. Might be an option for the shed which gets really damp.

There are 3 of us and 4 dogs - out for 1 - 2 hours each end of the day, so we get through some waterproofs.

Newspaper/towels under the airer will be worth a try.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like paraffin heaters but remember they produce water when burning, its 'wet heat' same as using calor gas heaters, so not ideal.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You know that picture of the brolly with the down to floor plastic surround may not be too off. Not the height of sartorial ellegance but a cheap poncho will cover most of you and shake dry at the front door so saving trachling wet clothes into the house. A bit like my long stockmans jacket. It covers me head to foot and though waxed shakes dry. Was great when out on days with the dog when I knew it would be raining cats and dogs.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Good point, I'd forgotten about that.

Fingers crossed we have a dry cold winter and it won't be an issue!

Always nice to have a dry and cold winter. According to newspaper reports it is going to be the coldest winter for 60 years.
Saying that though I am still waiting for the promised BBQ summer followed by the Indian summer that is promised every year 👍

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I've worked out a solution for drying the family's wet gear. We bought a cheap clothes rack on wheels (£16) and put a plastic underbed storage box underneath to catch the drips. The dehumidifier runs next to it, once the dripping has stopped I then transfer the damp coats to hooks in front of the wood burner overnight.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
If stuff is really dripping I give a quick spin in the washing machine first. We have one of the vintage pulley racks, 8ft, above a wood burner, gets a pair of jeans dry in no time.
When I was a kid we used to have a pull out clothes line above the bath. 4 or 6 strings which pulled out from one end on a pole and attached to hooks the opposing wall, I think they were called Tidydry or something like that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE