Drying soaked outdoor gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I don't have a porch or dry outbuilding where I can dry coats/leggings. Coats just end up hanging over backs of chairs dripping onto the kitchen floor. Come winter time this is a twice daily problem, taking up space and looking unsightly.

I do have a de-humidifier which works OK but is noisy, and 2 Woodburners - one of which is lit daily but is in the living room.

Basically I'm looking for a better solution for hanging/drying wet outdoor gear.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
Living in a flat, i have a similar problem. My stuff ends up hanging on the rail for the shower curtain over the bath with the extractor fan working overtime!

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Clothes horse? Put it in the bathroom of in front of the Fire. Get one that folds away flat for storage

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tumble drier is worth it's weight in gold I reckon.
I grew up in this area, and it's always damp, and every house in the land was full of winterdykes (clothes horses ? ) all Winter long trying to keep up with the washing.

Failing that you have a dehumidifier….set up a coat rack, one of the old fashioned free standing ones, in the bathroom, and put the dehumidifier in there if the noise bothers you. That'll deal with both the clothes and the extra moisture getting into the house and making everything damp. It's also most likely to have a floor that you can dry off easily if the jackets, etc., drip.

Me ? I want a big porch/sunroom and an old fashioned pulley…. I've kept the cast iron brackets and pulleys from our last house, but I'm not for putting it up in the kitchen here.

Not easy in our sodden wet climate is it ? I reckon our dehumidier is a win/win good thing :D
A dry house and it gives out heat as it works too :cool:

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In our kitchen/diningroom we have 50m of Paracord wound in 6 lines back and forth across the room (and dining table) just at the top of the wall height.
This is between the Rayburn and the stairs (we only have 2 downstairs rooms - livingroom/office/library and kitchen/diningroom ...the back door opens straight into the diningroom bit) so the flow of warm air is good.
Everything from towels to tarps to the weekly wash gets dried on this rack - as well as any dripping waterproofs :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
OK, Other than going to the laudrette, buying a tumble dryer, hanging stuff up over doors, winter dykes/clothes horses, buying less absorbent clothing, i dont know what else to suggest. Stay in doors until it's dryish...like, Mayish?? :lmao:

What would BG Do.?

He'd probably start by drinking his own urine, then someone elses

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you are getting saturated clothes twice a day, I think you should invest in some good waterproofs. Then just give them a shake when you get home and you're done and ready for the next downpour.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like Toddy I was brought up in Scotland; though on the marginally drier east coast. A lot of houses had a kitchen pully which was great for drying laundry and would often be pressed into service to hang the jelly bag come berry season. :eek:

traditional-kitchen-maid-clothes-airer_MED.jpg

They're not cheap these days though you can sometimes get them 2nd hand if you're quick. This is one of the places I've seen them online. LINK hangs to the ceiling and moves up and down via a pully system.

Brilliant things and sad that you don't see them very often these days. Also a must for traditional Scottish Halloween games involving treacle coated scones and blindfolds.
game-of-treacle-scones.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Beware!.............Hanging wet gear in the house continuously, especially in Winter, is a recipe for disastrouus damp and mould even though you might not be aware of it until it gets really bad. Ask me how I know!

I'll leave my stuff in the car rather than bring it sodden into the house, I had a really big adventure re-plastering the last place I owned because I ignored it, and I still have the residual respiratory problems associated with breathing in the molds involved; I wasn't even aware that it was happening until I went to move some stuff around and have a bit of a decorate, then :yikes: A very expensive mistake!

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Those JML drybuddy things work great Steph and I had one when we lived in a flat. Bit redundant now but kept as a standby. Plus I still want to try making beef jerky in it...

If you have things that are really dripping wet you can use a commercial type mop bucket to wring out the excess water so that they will make less mess and dry quicker. Also wearing as few clothes as possible for outdoor activities could mitigate the problem a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE