Hot tent in the snow, sleet and rain.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Enjoyed reading that (and watching the video!). How warm does it get in the tent? When you go to sleep it must be a big surprise to wake up and the fires gone out - what sort of sleeping bag do you take?
All the best
Phil

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Enjoyed reading that (and watching the video!). How warm does it get in the tent? When you go to sleep it must be a big surprise to wake up and the fires gone out - what sort of sleeping bag do you take?
All the best
Phil

The stove only burns for a relatively short time. Think more in terms of a campfire in a box. However that's not really a problem as I take a sleeping bag and pad rated to the proper temperature. Going into my bag warm and well hydrated makes the entire night so much better. Only once did I ever start the stove during the wee hours of the night to get warm. It was around 10 below zero F. Not overly cold but took a **** and decided to warm up. This time I packed a down bag, down mat and closed cell pad. The down bag was a bit of a risk given the weather.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Ahh, that makes sense. I normally set up my tarp next to the fireplace and let it burn out slowly throughout the night - having a nicely contained fire inside a tent sounds very civilised!
All the best
Phil

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
have you tried reducing te airflow in to the stove megawoodswalker to try and get it to burn longer? the holes in the door are quite good, and how does the rest of the airtightness seem?

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
have you tried reducing te airflow in to the stove megawoodswalker to try and get it to burn longer? the holes in the door are quite good, and how does the rest of the airtightness seem?

I prefer to reduce the airflow at the pipe, not the door hence why I removed the door flap on my DIY stove and don't use the one on my take down. At the pip via damper will reflect heat back into the stove. The DIY stove is fairly air tight though this too isn't as important as one might think for a smaller firebox. Granted more airtight allows for better control of the burn.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Another thing MWW, if you should see this, about your reburn chamber. I imagine that the temperature in the gauze in the chamber reaches smokes flash point temperature, causing it to ignite ( if you have enough flow through the stove to reach temperature). Does this then give you a very good draw on your chimney? And does this make the stove burn faster? And do you have to keep it at temperature to ensure it doesn't become more of a hindrance than a help? I'm wondering whether this could mean someone could use a thinner chimney than the 3 inch?

Last edited:

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Another thing MWW, if you should see this, about your reburn chamber. I imagine that the temperature in the gauze in the chamber reaches smokes flash point temperature, causing it to ignite ( if you have enough flow through the stove to reach temperature). Does this then give you a very good draw on your chimney? And does this make the stove burn faster? And do you have to keep it at temperature to ensure it doesn't become more of a hindrance than a help? I'm wondering whether this could mean someone could use a thinner chimney than the 3 inch?

Yes the secondary burn does seem to help the draw however that effect only occurs longer into the burn. On start-up the robber will reduce the draft as it's an obstruction to the airflow. I did my best to mitigate that issue. Some people use smaller than 3-inch diameter but that's not for me. Here is an interesting observation. A longer pipe seems to help increase the draft though there is an ideal length for each firebox. Sometimes an extra foot or two can have a dramatic effect on draft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE