Drop scones or scotch pancakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
half a pound of flour
half tsp bicarb
half tsp cream of tartar
half tsp baking powder
one tbsp sugar
one egg
half pint milk
a nut of butter
one tbsp syrup

Mix, stand for 15 mins and away you go.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Traditionally, drop scones were made with buttermilk rather than plain milk - the acidity of the buttermilk would react with the bicarbonate and cause the dough to bubble, giving a light texture.

An old irish recipe here - slightly modified for bushcraft use :)

250g/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 large egg
250ml/1 cup buttermilk

Mix the dry ingredients and put in a ziplock bag. When you want to make the pancakes, beat the egg and buttermilk together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well and then pour onto a hot griddle.

My only other advice coming from a bread baking perspective is that for batter you should try not to whisk or beat the batter to make it frothy. Doing so stretches out the gluten in the flour, making it more like a dough and less like a batter - the elasticity of the gluten holds back the batter and stops it being light and bubbly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pancakes for modern tastebuds have an awful lot more sugar in them and if you use cake flour, self raising, they'll take quite a lot of beating/folding in air. Match is quite right about the gluten in bread flour......how you make them depends on what kind of flour you take with you outdoors.

2 cups self raising flour
2 teaspoonsfull of baking powder
Half a cup of sugar, or honey, or syrup.....whatever sweetness you can acquire
Good pinch of salt
2 eggs
Milk or water to mix.

Creating a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and breaking in the eggs is the usual advice.....personally (and I've been doing this for a while :p ) bung it all in a bowl but keep the liquid a bit tight to start with, now beat with a spoon/whisk/whatever until it's all one mixture, and slowly introduce extra liquid a splash at a time, beating each amount in thoroughly.
You want a batter that will pour off the spoon but not run off the girdle/frying pan.
The batter ought to set quite quickly on the pan and start to rise.

When the pancakes are starting to show bubbles rising and just beginning to pop is time to turn them over, if you wait until the pancake bubbles start to really set you'll get cheugh ones a bit like muffins with a burnt brown ring edge.

It's easiest to make the dried mix up at home and seal it into one of those self seal/zip freezer bags. If you haven't got eggs it'll still work, just be a bit insipid.
The mixture will take half a cup of freshly gathered fruit, brambles, blaeberries or even fresh hazelnuts crushed like garlic between the flat of a knife and a stone or a bit of wood. Nice with some spice and raisins too :) :rolleyes: or a drop or two of orange oil & chocolate drops.....

Cheers,
Toddy

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ooh one of my old be-ro books has a great recipe for drop(ped) scones.....erm...but i cant remember it. will check this evenin (maybe similar to toddy's - less sugar tho??)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Sorry its taken me a while to type these up but heres 3 cracking girdle recipes I dug out of my old Be-ro recipe pamflets (circa 1950!)

Dropped Scones (makes 12):

4 oz plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 oz margarine
2 oz sugar
1 egg beaten with 3 tbsp milk (I usually add more milk as IMO it seems quite thick)
6 drops lemon essence (or squeeze of fresh lemon or zest of a lemon)

Mix flour and salt, rub in margarine, mix in sugar & then egg/milk and lemon.
Mix to a smooth batter.
Cook until golden on one side (usually indicated by bubbles appearing on top of pancake) then flip over.

Girdle Scones:

1 lb plain flour
1/2 tsp sugar
2 oz lard
2 oz sugar
1 egg beaten with 1/2 pt of milk

Mix flour & salt, rub in lard.
Mix in sugar egg/milk quickly with (hand made) wooden spoon.
Empty onto floured surface.
Split into four round balls.
Don't knead!
Roll out 1/4 inch thick & cut into quarters.
Bake on moderately hot girdle. Turn once browned.

Girdle cakes:

8 oz plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 oz currants
2 oz margarine
2 oz lard
Milk or water

Mix flour & salt, then rub in fat.
Add currants & mix to a stiff dough with a touch of milk or water.
Roll out thinly and cut into rounds.
Brown on each side, serving hot & buttered.

>drool drool< :)

no doubt i'll be making some of these at the North meet for peeps to sample.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE