Drilling titanium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve gone all 21st Century and treated myself to some titanium goodies from Tamarack this afternoon :) I was kind of near to Manchester and couldn`t resist the urge to jump on the M61. Anyway, three hours later and nearly £200 lighter, I`ve got some titanium pots I want to drill to put bail arms in.

What`s the best way to drill two 3mm holes in a titanium billy. I don`t have a pillar drill just a hand held. I`ve done plenty of stainless by punching a hole then drilling out with normal metal bits. I don`t fancy whacking a hole in these so much as they`re only thin walled and will probably distort before letting a punch through.

Any advice on a good drill bit would be appreciated

Ta

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Rich

going to my Mechanical fitting days what i would is to buy a building site joiners bench and stick the pot over one end and drill down on to the bench thru the titanium. Bearing in mind if you do this you will need to clamp it on due to the shaking of drill. Secondly by a set of hard ground metal drilling drill bits. Another thing to remember is dont forget to hole punch were you want to drill before you drill our will loose your hole due to it not being a piller drill.

Please also remember that saftey is a must and goggles are a must when drilling cos i have seen a lad go blind because of not using goggles when drilling and it aint nice
I.E it would put an end to your camping and bushcrafting days

please also not having not been a fitter for three years an up todate expert might come along and tell you another safer metherd drew

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
rich, i drilled my MSR titanium set big pot to put a wire bail on it. Drilling was easy, much much easier than stainless. I just put a plank on a kitchen work surface and used the corner to work over. I lightly tapped with hammer and nail where i wanted the holes to get a small depression. Holes were put in with a hand drill drilling down into the plank.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I've heard that Titanium has a habit of hardening up if you try and grind it or drill it too fast, resulting in much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Best to take it slow? Never tried myself though!

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
I haven't tried drilling Titanium yet! but as we all no doubt know SS can be a pain. Over the past couple of weeks Iv'e been drilling a few SS tins. I found the best way is to start with a new drill and do it sloooow.
Others have suggested placing tin on the edge of a bench, I cut a block of wood that fitted inside my tin to stop it beveling when I used a center punch to notch the holes. I also wrapped some tape around the part that I was going to drill to stop the drill walking.

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Piccies of kit - first packed up...

p1000770vk9.jpg

Next everything out - kettle/big mug, inner 700 ml pot and pot cozy, outer 1000 ml pot with wire bail, whitebox meths stove with windshields/ heat reflector

p1000771ym7.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE