Hand cranked pillar drills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I picked up a fully working hand cranked bench pillar drill today, a Bradson No 1. I've got a couple of other different ones but this one seems to be the most useful.

Most of it I can work out, i.e. raising and lowering the chuck and drilling etc. However, there's a ratchet attached to a cam on the handle I don't understand the use for. It stops the drill going backwards but I don;t know what use it would be.

Does anyone know much about these drills or know of anywhere where I might get some instructions or guidance?

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
The cam activates a lever with a pawl that engages with the teeth on the wheel at the top of the spindle and that is what advances the drill into the workpiece when the handle is turned.
These drills are superb and so useful i have a union model and a large millers falls blacksmiths drill both used from time to time. ..........Hope thats some help

Reactions: slowworm

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It engages as you say but the drill lowers regardless of the fact it's engaged. When drilling if it engages the drill can rotate anti-clockwise and clear swarf without raising. Or perhaps the drill needs a good clean, it's in a very good condition but a bit oily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE