Drilling a hole in a Mora Tang.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I want to rehandle my Mora, I've cut the handle off, so I now have a template for the new one. But I'd like to put a mosaic pin in it for a bit of added strength and looks. Do I need any special drill bits to drill through the tempered tang? Any advice appreciated.

Mora%20handle%20002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mora%20handle%20003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You could also spot anneal the bit you want to drill; somebody with a good torch just brings that bit up to colour, then leave it to cool.......You can then drill it normally.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Moras aren't that hard in fairness. I would say step up slowly in sizes, if you're trying to sink a 1/4 drill bit through straight away you'll struggle. When I'm making I tend to bite the bullet and buy decent bits but cheap ones will manage :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Looks to be anealled for the last inch and a half or so. I'm no expert, but a good bit and some oil should work on that section. Probably best to use a pillar drill too to get it nice and straight.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
If it's a laminated blade you should have no issue with the outer sides. The centre may cause issues. My advice would be to mix it up (assuming you don't have solid carbide bits) and drill with a normal metal drill bit until you have issues then switch to a masonry bit....for a bit.... then back to the metal bit. If you're not careful you can melt off the end of the masonry bit but I treat them as disposable. You may also find that pecking at the steel helps as opposed to just hanging off the handle and putting all your weight on it.

Another trick you can try is a square pointed centre punch at the point where you're struggling. It will reshape the hole and give the bit a different shape to bite into.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd just buy a carbide bit Colin. Only a few quid. You can use it on other stuff then. I've tried drilling hardened steel with all sorts, all hard work other than carbide,

Annealing the end of the tang would be the other option if you have something to apply the heat with (850º) Just have the blade in a glass of water and just anneal the bit you need.

http://www.diamond-ace.co.uk/Drill-Bits/carbide-drill-bits

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks guys for all your great advice. I had to go to Tool Station for a couple of band saw blades, so I picked up a pack of 2 cobalt bits for under £3 and a couple of tungsten carbide masonry bits. The cobalt bit was very slow to bite on the tang, but once it got going seemed to be okay. I now have a nice neat hole for my mosaic pin. Just waiting for a piece Yew now.

ginger%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE