Dream Trip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Well today I took the plunge...

Currently I am 19 years old and was due to go Uni the coming September, but I figured if I go to uni; I will just be throwing myself upon the conveyor belt as uni would mean debt, then time spent paying off that debt which will mean I'll be late twenties before I pay of my debt, which could result in other tangles preventing me from my traveling (wife? kids? Jesus its scary).

Since I was about 15 I have read countless books on, Canada/Alaska/Rockies, watched every documentary that may have featured any of the above topics, which resulted in sitting through a Bear Grylls episode (of which the only infomation from that episode advised me to throw myself in the rapids to cover some mileage in the rockies.... :S)

So I went into college and told my tutor to hold my application for a year, so I can work, save money, gather adequate equipment, research it properly etc and go on my trip and hit uni the following september, fulfilled and ready to learn!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Currently I am 19 years old and was due to go Uni the coming September, but I figured if I go to uni; I will just be throwing myself upon the conveyor belt as uni would mean debt, then time spent paying off that debt which will mean I'll be late twenties before I pay of my debt, which could result in other tangles preventing me from my traveling (wife? kids? Jesus its scary).

Since I was about 15 I have read countless books on, Canada/Alaska/Rockies, watched every documentary that may have featured any of the above topics, which resulted in sitting through a Bear Grylls episode (of which the only infomation from that episode advised me to throw myself in the rapids to cover some mileage in the rockies.... :S)

So I went into college and told my tutor to hold my application for a year, so I can work, save money, gather adequate equipment, research it properly etc and go on my trip and hit uni the following september, fulfilled and ready to learn!

It seems so obvious a thing to do when you put it like that yet I guarantee that it is not just me reading this and saying so why didn't I do just that! And with more than a little regret and longing to be but 19 again:sigh:

Go for it and may it be everything you hope for.

K

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar

Go for it and enjoy!! :beerchug: I did something very similar... changed me more than anyone could ever have imagined, I never went to uni in the end and have no regrets whatsoever. Still made four freshers weeks (and counting) so far though! :rolleyes:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I'll tell you something, i wish i was able to do that when i was your age, i worked until i was 20 as i never had the oppertunity to goto uni straight from school, because of my inability to use capital letters, then went to uni until i was 24, where i learned nothing. But you are 100% correct, by the time i was 24 i was engaged and Karen was looking to get a house asap. I take a trip once a year nowadays but it has to fit in my annual leave, its a poor subsitute but its good enough.

I say go for it, don't forget to goto uni thought cause its a very benifical experience, it has put me well ahead of allot of my friends on the career ladder, that is of course after spending a year in the wilderness its a ladder you want to climb, you may well have an epiphany.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE