Dream Day / Patrol pack. Ideas please.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm on a bit of a making spree at the moment and I've fancied making my own canvas and leather pack for a while.

I'm looking more towards the continental alpine style than the American type and I plan to make it compatible with the side pouches I made for my Crusader for greater flexibility.

Beyond that I am open to ideas, so I thought I would throw it open to you to gather some inspiration.

What features do you consider vital? What have you always wished someone would add to your perfect pack or even what would you get rid of if you could have it any way you wanted?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm on a bit of a making spree at the moment and I've fancied making my own canvas and leather pack for a while.

I'm looking more towards the continental alpine style than the American type and I plan to make it compatible with the side pouches I made for my Crusader for greater flexibility.

Beyond that I am open to ideas, so I thought I would throw it open to you to gather some inspiration.

What features do you consider vital? What have you always wished someone would add to your perfect pack or even what would you get rid of if you could have it any way you wanted?

A wet compartment. Probably at the base of a pack.
A pouch on the strap (for camera etc.) stuff I want to keep safe but don't want to have to keep removing my pack to get.
Zip open back panel - for easy access to the depths of the pack.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Which basic shape do you mean? (Bone question I know, but there's a couple of types I'd consider Continental Alpine )

More this...
816SummitPack.jpg

Than this...
840sm.png

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

When I was a lad I had an old Army external frame canvas bergan, if that is the "continental alpine" style then I think that arrangement of external pouches worked well. However the side pockets were not detachable and were quite small, there was a single flat pouch along the front of the pack which was handy for spare maps, waterproofs etc. Additionally my pack had been modified with an internal lining which had a draw cord at the bottom. I could pull this out of the pack, open the drawstring bottom and virtually double the packs capacity (with a little loss of balance) :). I could also use the pack and this pull out sleeve as a makeshift sleeping bag.

The only other thing I'd put on my dream canvas pack would be more hard points so I could strap blankets, tools and stuff sacks to the top, sides or bottom.
:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I tend to use a side pocket as a wet pouch and everything is packed internally in dry bags as well.

I'll certainly have a few hard points and I was thinking about wand pockets on the sides between the zip points which could hold an axe / saw / avalanche probes or the like.

I like the map / document pocket idea.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm in and out of my daypack all the time - cos the kids need various things - wipes, tissues, nappies, snacks, drinks, plasters etc. So packing everything in drybags becomes very time consuming.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
When i go for a bimble i want everything im likely to use on the outside so for me i would take something like the 30l german army alpine pack and add lots of external capacity. Even better if the external pockets are made to measure for my cup, water bottle, my sharps (i dont like them on show), stove etc etc. This then leaves the internals free to take foraged bits and wet gear.

One thing i am sure of, whatever form it takes, i cant wait to see it Wayland :D

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How about a sleeve on the rear of the pack to slip your sit mat in. That way you dont need to open it to get it out.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm aiming to use the German Army kip mat in a pocket at the back of the pack to provide padding and shape much as it does in the Mountain Pack.

I think it will need to be inside the pack to function properly as far as I can see but you can usually slide it out without much difficulty.

Thats the one i meant but i prefer it with the leather straps. Military mart have them although im guessing if you wanted leather straps they'd be on it by now :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
More this...

Than this...

With the mod / change of direction before completion of your craft bag, that's the type I thought most likely ;) .

What would I look for?

• Having just rediscovered the joy that is air flow I'd be looking at the ability to attach an external frame ~ attaching corresponding attachment points to the main body would allow the sack to be used without the frame.
  • Snow-lock / Expander section with the ability to float the lid.
  • An under lid compartment for a stove and brew kit.
  • Three way compression straps / volume adjustment ~ to pull the sack in towards the back, to pull in from the side, to pull the base in and up.
  • Strapping point(s) at the top rear of the pack to enable to strap items in closer to your centre of gravity.
  • An ability to to turn the sack into split upper and lower compartments ~ with separate access to the lower area.
I'll have a further think ;)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm a bit torn about the waist strap issue. On the whole I don't like them on small packs but I can see the value as the weight increases.

I'm currently working on a way of easily clipping the pack to a separate belt when required.

If it works, that could remove the whole lot together or just leave the belt in place when the pack is removed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE