Dream Bushcraft location

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
We all dream! Have you ever thought about what would be your dream bushcrafting holiday location?
Personally I would have to go for the seaboard of the west coast of Scotland. Somewhere where there is oak/birch woodland right down to the seashore, sheltered from the prevailing westerly winds, so I could camp comfortably and have a protested fire.. A goodly supply of seafood, such as mussels and razor clams and a spot to launch my canoe, so that I could fish. Some good wood for carving bowls/spoons and the like. A viewpoint where I could watch the western sun dip into the sea would be a nice bonus and where I could sit in a breeze to get away from the midges.:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds perfect Fred

When are we going, I`ll drive.

Seriously though doesn`t that sound just like Knoydart ???

Rich

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Too many choices to pick just one, some of the faves would be .....

British Columbia
Anywhere remote inside the Arctic Circle
New Zealand
The American badlands

and not forgetting good old Blighty broadleaf woodland.

Rich

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I may have to second Spamel, lots of trees, snow, cold temps, seclution, wild food to catch, some grog for the colder nights and some baccy

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
We all dream! Have you ever thought about what would be your dream bushcrafting holiday location?
Personally I would have to go for the seaboard of the west coast of Scotland. Somewhere where there is oak/birch woodland right down to the seashore, sheltered from the prevailing westerly winds, so I could camp comfortably and have a protested fire.. A goodly supply of seafood, such as mussels and razor clams and a spot to launch my canoe, so that I could fish. Some good wood for carving bowls/spoons and the like. A viewpoint where I could watch the western sun dip into the sea would be a nice bonus and where I could sit in a breeze to get away from the midges.:rolleyes:

I can't think of a better place, Canada would probably be next on the list alongside Alaska, closely followed by the Scandinavian countries. Although I would have to say I've never been to any of the others. My opinion is based on what I've read and watched regarding the others. That, and the fact I love Scotland

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Overseas it has to be Algonquin Park in Canada. At home, any broadleaf woodland, soft spot for Scotland though. Just wish the Rain Gods would smile on me.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Sounds perfect Fred

When are we going, I`ll drive.

Rich

Hmmm...

I was looking at their website the other day - looked very interesting...

Never been camping in Scotland before - when is the worst of the midge-season?

For my list it would be the Pacific NW - so Washington/British Columbia/Alaska, followed closely by Sweden (that's just from what I've read mind..), then the UK..

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Season? For midges? You're having a giraffe!!

Seriously though, pretty much beginning of Spring right through to end of Autumn is Midge season up here! Although this year they have been out longer due to the mild winter - sign of things to come maybe!

An island off our coast sounds like bliss but I wouldn't mind an island somewhere tropical too just for a change of scene!

Dr O

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Southern England. Plenty of mixed board leaves and a river running though. I'm sure much of the mid latitude northern hemisphere could provide me with a good spot.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I've often day dreamed about this - good question! I think you'd be hard pressed to say temperate deciduous (broadleaf and mixed - oaks, beeches, birches, firs, spruces) forest is not the best climax vegetation for bushcraft given the available resources found within it, though you do tend to get above average rain. I'd go for New Zealand without hesitation given the positive attitude of the people to all things 'bushcrafty' over there in my experience. Long way mind you. I have also heard very good things about the Chilean Lake District, and into Argentina. Chris

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

It does rather, doesn't it? What a result - your dream location is actually less than a couple of hundred miles away, and you have a legal right of responsible access. And it's free! (Although you do need to pay for parking at the road-end at Kinloch Hourn if I remember right).

I love Scotland! :)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
A viewpoint where I could watch the western sun dip into the sea would be a nice bonus...

That's the one thing missing from my pal's pad. It faces east at the foot of a steep hill and you lose the sun long before it sets.

It does make for nice sunrises though, and when the hill shades the loch the fish bite more:).

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Wicklow National park
Inverness
Hay on Wye
The national park outside Arnhem, in Holland

Those are the ones that spring to mind.

I surpose the US has to be the Ulitmate, but that is more for ever than just for Bushcraft.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Being from CAnada, I did spend a couple of months tenting it up in Northern British Columbia and it was absolutely magnificent-had a close encounter with a grizzly however. I live a few hours away from Algonquin Park (it can take weeks in a canoe to get from end to end) and that is my default place to go and again, hard to beat but can get a tad busy in areas in the summer.
All that being said, I am dying to go to northern Sweden. It is always greener on the other side of the world I guess.

FarPoint

Jan 15, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hey Fred-you make the coast of Scotland sound awfully enticing. Consider too the north shore of Lake Superior (one of the Great Lakes in Canada, kind of in the middle and borders USA). Rocky, remote, an enormous body of water with great fishing. Wonderful woods and majestic rocks. Not to dissimilar to what you are describing.
A bit of a commute for you however!
Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE