Down Or Synthetic Insulation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I know its a bit of a chicken and egg question but Im currently in the thought process of a hammock cocoon and not sure if I should use synthetic of down. Ovbviously down is a better insulator and really packs down however it is more expensive and my thought it its going to be mainly used in the winter, when theres lots of moisture in the air so thats not great for the down.

What do you guys think?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're not planning to carry it very far then syn makes more sense, if you're hiking with it then down wins hands down. Couple it up with a weather shield of some sort and you're half way there.

On longer camps I've seen both down and synthetic start to get damp and heavy after three or fours days of mist and rain, there's not much you can do about that though really. Damp from the air will mostly dry out once you sleep in it, it's the direct rain or soaking which is bad news for down.

I had the Snugpak blanket for a couple of years and loved it, I only got rid so I could upgrade to down stuff for hiking.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
If it's paired with a good bivvy-bag, and you fluff up the down-bag properly, you should be OK. But synthetic is cheaper and will carry on insulating, woven when damp.

It's down to personal preference....

iotarho

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2009
Tunbridge Wells
This is a never ending debate on UKC and some expedition and skiing forums! It all boils down to where you want to use it. In Scotland, for example, I prefer synthetic for both jacket and 'bag. But if I'm somewhere drier I'll choose a down jacket (never camped in that type of environment).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think for weekend stuff in the UK, 99% of the time down will be okay unless it gets soaked for some reason. By the time you're leaving for home after a couple of nights, the damp weather hasn't had enough effect on the loft.

I was in the french Alps on a 12 day trip a couple of years ago, continuous rain, fog and general dampness meant after five or six days everything was wet and not working very well, that was down and synthetic gear. Do your best to keep stuff dry and buy the best you can afford.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I spent 220 nights under canvas last year in Canada, Finland, Sweden, Japan and most of the UK. I used two Rab down bags. A quantum for summer use and an Atlas for cold weather use. On extended canoe trips you need to take care to keep the down dryish but never had any issues. I would never buy anything other than down. Nothing beats the warmth to weight and bulk. This year will be around 185 nights with the same two bags. I occasional add a bivvy or silk liner to the mix.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE