Double burner gas stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Stick with the paraffin stoves Graham, burn hotter and are cheaper to run, but if you want to get rid of yours PM me, I collect them :)

Well, I knew you collected stoves, and I did think about offering you one of my stoves in return for the double burner you offered, but...

My primus 210 I think is close to the same age as I am and have used it since I was a child, and my newer optimus 96 ( I think that is the model, its the very small one) has been with me well over 25 years, and I decided I couldn't be parted with them. I have had others over the years but they have been given away at various times.

I can light them in my sleep, and they are incredibly reliable, but my wife won't go near them and our camping "style" has changed a bit and a gas double burner is just that bit more suited to what we do (most of the time) now. I did use two 210s for a spell in a metal windscreened camp table thing and that worked well.

None the less, as I look at gas stoves, none of them have the soul of a primus !!

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

Well yes and no, in that what I was after was something like the link in my original post, but physically a bit smaller. And that is still really what I think I am after, but stimulated by the comments here , I can see the benefits of something that has a built in folding wind screen, even though I would prefer the simplicity of the cast iron burner that I linked to.

Thanks,

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Well, as the hour got closer to actually making a purchase, the more I realised that using my primus was an integral part of camping for me and, while I may yet change my mind, I think I am going to stick with paraffin, but with a small gas stove as back up.

Thanks for everyone who took time to give advice, I may well still end going the double burner route, but for now my desire to spend money is being channelled into finding an Optimus 111 (brass fuel tank, not a new one), a stove I have always wanted and never been able to afford.

So my "double burner" will become the 111 plus the OO, with a folding gas stove for "quick and easy" and a Woodgas stove for when I can use it. In spite of my wife not going near the paraffin stoves, she likes the woodgas stove and is happy to light it and use it.

My concession to comfort is that I will buy/make a small table with windsheild so I'm not grovelling on the ground.

Any way thanks again to everyone.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, as the hour got closer to actually making a purchase, the more I realised that using my primus was an integral part of camping for me and, while I may yet change my mind, I think I am going to stick with paraffin, but with a small gas stove as back up.

Thanks for everyone who took time to give advice, I may well still end going the double burner route, but for now my desire to spend money is being channelled into finding an Optimus 111 (brass fuel tank, not a new one), a stove I have always wanted and never been able to afford.

So my "double burner" will become the 111 plus the OO, with a folding gas stove for "quick and easy" and a Woodgas stove for when I can use it. In spite of my wife not going near the paraffin stoves, she likes the woodgas stove and is happy to light it and use it.

My concession to comfort is that I will buy/make a small table with windsheild so I'm not grovelling on the ground.

Any way thanks again to everyone.

Graham

What a perfect solution Graham :You_Rock_

111's go for anywhere between £20 and £50, don't worry about the state of the tin, they can be easily rubbed down and a quick cote of plasti-kote and you back in business. Very few moving parts, very easy to fettle and get up and running. PM me if you need any help

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
What a perfect solution Graham :You_Rock_

111's go for anywhere between £20 and £50, don't worry about the state of the tin, they can be easily rubbed down and a quick cote of plasti-kote and you back in business. Very few moving parts, very easy to fettle and get up and running. PM me if you need any help

Thanks Rik,

Of course with the exception of the Woodgas stove (which is new), its just what I used to do in the old days when I regularly went camping except the 96 or a second 00, but without the 111.

I'm bidding on a 111 at the moment on ebay, but its going a bit higher than I had hoped for.

Of course the worse thing is that now, of course, I don't just want one 111, but one of each of the different models :-(

you also have a PM, if you have time to have a look.

Graham

Graham

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
For family camping we use a cheapy camping gaz dual burner which has served for 10 years now without any problems. We did change the regulator so we can use the cheap shell types that are 4 times bigger and half the cost. I think the is a difference in the gas (butane/propane vs propane) but what's the worst that could happen :D

For a cast iron double burner that price seems to be about right. We have been looking at them and seen prices up to 145 euro for a single. I saw a cheap one in Makro (I think) but it didn't feel at all solid. I think a problem might be that there is no wind break with them so they would go out a lot, depends on where you go camping I suppose.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
For family camping we use a cheapy camping gaz dual burner which has served for 10 years now without any problems.
For a cast iron double burner that price seems to be about right. I think a problem might be that there is no wind break with them so they would go out a lot, depends on where you go camping I suppose.

As you will see, I've gone off the idea for now, and sticking to paraffin. As regards the windbreak , there are several stove tables/stands with windbreaks that the cast iron burner could sit on. That was my plan anyway.

Graham

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 111 range is fantastic bar the 111C, which did not prove popular, steel tank and problems with the new Cobra burner, the rest are well worth buying :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
The 111 range is fantastic bar the 111C, which did not prove popular, steel tank and problems with the new Cobra burner, the rest are well worth buying :)

Well, as you know I have now bought a 111T on ebay, and looking forward to it arriving.

Do you have any information on the new one (the one with the ridiculous green tank and knob). After the bad reports on the 111C, it would be nice to think they have got it right with this one.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE