Double burner, gas or petrol?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi guys,
i'm looking to get a new double burner stove for our trips out at the weekend (purely car camping) and can decide between either the coleman duel fuel or the myriad of gaz stoves out there. i use an msr whisperlite for backpacking but realise how difficult they are to control or posh camp nosh. i know the pros and cons of gas v petrol but not the specifics of living with these stoves. what are peoples views either way.

Cheers

Baggins

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
The Coleman suitcase stove is like cooking on a goood gas hob at home only more powerful when you want it. It's my go to stove with the car and I have a lot of stoves. There. Are some good bigger gas stove a put there but the vast majority are quite poor. Not to mention lugging a gas canister and keeping them topped up before trips... Not thanks

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I love my Coleman 413G (love all my Coleman stoves and lanterns) but to be honest, these days for car camping a twin gas is fine. You can get lightweight 6kg bottles of gas now from Calor, the bottles weigh half that of normal bottles.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am not a real GAs fan .. depends on when your going to use it... if a lower temps always go Petrol.. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Personally I say go with the Coleman Petrol jobby. cheaper to run, more powerful and works no matter the weather. Only downside petrol is no use for making toast! Makes it taste awful so you wont have a grill. Also when in the back of beyond on a Sunday when all the camping shops are closed you'll find it easier to get your hands on petrol than a gas canister.

Tough, reliable and controllable. (Not to cheap to buy but last for ever).

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
thanks for all the replies guys. one more question, once the burners have been burning for a while and cool down (i.e. after 1st cup of coffee) how easy are they to light again? i know my MSR has to be primed again which can be a pain in the derriere.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Coleman liquid fuel stoves have a special 'light' mode which produces the necessary preheating with a spluttering mixed stream of liquid fuel and air. Once it is hissing and not spluttering, it is up to temperature so you switch to 'run'. If the stove is warm this takes much less time so it is actually easier to restart.

This guy is wordy but shows you everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Oxu6etBMQs4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE