MSR Whisperlite preheat or alternatives - help

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
try a tin of lighter fluid as its easy to get. or take a bottle of coleman fuel just for preheating. shouldn't need more than 5ml to get it going in this weather :)

I have similar issues with my firejet as it needs preheating if I run it on diesel and it gets sooty with unleaded so I carry a brush to de soot it every now and again.

oh and surgical spirit will work if you need it to :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheers guys, what's the Primus like on straight unleaded?

Sooty?

Not as good as on the fuel its designed to run on. If you have to use car fuel, apart from the soot, bad fumes you don't want to breath, and having to carry out more maintainence on the stove, there is the question of smell. Unleaded smells and takes ages to go away, using proper fuel for the Primus Omnifuel will stop all this, plus you can burn gas (standard threaded types common in the UK)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
try a tin of lighter fluid as its easy to get. or take a bottle of coleman fuel just for preheating. shouldn't need more than 5ml to get it going in this weather :)

I have similar issues with my firejet as it needs preheating if I run it on diesel and it gets sooty with unleaded so I carry a brush to de soot it every now and again.

oh and surgical spirit will work if you need it to :)

Hey CrazyDave,

I'd thought of carrying Coleman fuel to start it, but I just thought it would be a pain trying to get it in the preheat cup, but the lighter fuel is a damn good idea, or that kind of can with Coleman in it. Good thinking mate, cheers!

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE