Don't you just love it when that happens?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I had the chance to show the bow-drill to an old friend the other day. He and I used to play together as kids and we often used to try stuff like bow-drill and the like whilst playing over the fields or up the woods.
Well, now his own kids are older than we were when we met, and I was round at his place felling some trees for him and I decided that we'd light the resulting bonfire "properly". I'd taken by bow-drill set with me with a variety of drills and hearths for the purpose. With a suitable audience of him, his Mrs, their two boys and his in-laws gathered to watch the "Miracle of Fire by friction" demonstration I got the bow-drill out...
"Remember how we used to try and light fires with sticks 'n' stuff mate? Well, since I've learned that the bow has to be far more rigid than an archers bow, and to use the right wood it's become so much easier..."
In only 4 passes of the bow and I had a lovely glowing coal ! (admit it, you all thought I was going to say I couldn't manage it in front of an audience ;) )
"Oh" says my mate. "I never realised it was just a case of getting the right wood", and with that they all wandered off !
Talk about an ego deflator! :lmao: :lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Well done Buddy,
Some people just don't see the miracle, and will forever ask the question "Why don't you just use a match?" They see it as little more than a parlour trick.

We appreciate your efforts even if they don't.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I suppose if you go back in history to when friction fire was all there was then it probably would have been no more exciting than turning on a light switch is to us. So maybe your friend has the proper primitive attitude. And here we are thinking friction fire and its masters are magic and magicians to be worshipped. Silly us.:D

You have obviously got to choose your audience more carefully!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Every thing for everyone is so easy in our modern world--- I would show Bow drill to any one who I thought really wanted to see how its done >most of the people I know are just not interested .I think it a sad world out there apart from you lot -- Freinds who have or want to experience back to basics

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Nice story, True people are too dependant now, i remember a few weeks ago my friends friend trying to make a fire with a deodorant can and a lighter (stupid muppet) adn failed miserably it was also pouring down and there i got it going with a bow drill, he wasnt happy was flapping all night long :)

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Longstrider,
nice story but take some comfort my friend, what you wont see is your old mate trying to repeat the process, skin his knuckles, sweat buckets and curse you saying......"Just a case of getting the right bloody wood" :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Only 4 passes!? You made it look WAY too easy mate - next time take about ten minutes, struggle, grunt, swear and sweat - then it'll look impressive ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE