Don't follow the bear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I asked the Scouts what they thought of BG's actions and had an email back saying that BG has now withdrawn his legal action. Also that "Bear is a unique individual who provides us with a profile in the media that on balances helps build the Scout brand and profile and we are grateful for his support. We continue to feel that the benefits outweigh the occasional conflicts between these."

So, reading between the lines the Scouts sometimes find him difficult to deal with.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Strange not being able to read the BB page? I thought the Commons could be viewed by anyone.

It's quite relevant as one of the partners is a member, so you get a better idea of what's been going on.

Edit: Logged out to check, the Commons is listed as private.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
He did indeed do Scouting a powerful bit of good when he turned up at the Jamboree in Cornwall by (green?) helicopter, stayed at for least two hours of his valuable time

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Fair play to the chap if he has withdrawn his complaint.

I assume that wossisname can continue using the word Bear now?

I'm still allowed to say it am I?
Bear, bear. Yup, no snotty letters just yet but I'l keep checking, just to make sure.

If someone copies you then perhaps copyright breech but in most cases....Bear, Apple, Mac Donald etc surely those names were already in use before people started trying to lay claim to them, talk about ego inflation and if Grylls wins this he can have his bloody signed photo back. Maybe I should claim the name 'Hog' Dont get it..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If someone copies you then perhaps copyright breech but in most cases....Bear, Apple, Mac Donald etc surely those names were already in use before people started trying to lay claim to them, talk about ego inflation and if Grylls wins this he can have his bloody signed photo back. Maybe I should claim the name 'Hog' Dont get it..

The lawyers dropped the case.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A few people seem to have got the wrong end of the stick here. This had nothing to do with Bear Grylls. It was a legal company acting on behalf of the Bear franchise. As soon as he heard about it, he tweeted he'd have words and do what he could to put a stop to it.

He's shown such an interest in the small company that they're going to send him one of their knives as thanks. But you won't be seeing that one on the TV ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well it looks like it was personally down to BG that the legal action was stopped. So kudos to him for stepping in. Seems we've been giving him undeserved abuse. Not the first time, and certainly not the last.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well it looks like it was personally down to BG that the legal action was stopped. So kudos to him for stepping in. Seems we've been giving him undeserved abuse. Not the first time, and certainly not the last.

It was, and I find it very naive of people to think that he'd be instructing his legal representatives to act on his behalf because someone used the word 'Bear'. It's all a bit bigger than that, it's a multi million pound industry.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
[QUOTEHe's shown such an interest in the small company that they're going to send him one of their knives as thanks. But you won't be seeing that one on the TV][/QUOTE]

Indeed the media's realm is the realm of deception. They tell us what they want us to hear to make a story. Unfortunately most of what people "know" these days is based on what they hear in the media.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
[QUOTEHe's shown such an interest in the small company that they're going to send him one of their knives as thanks. But you won't be seeing that one on the TV]

Indeed the media's realm is the realm of deception. They tell us what they want us to hear to make a story. Unfortunately most of what people "know" these days is based on what they hear in the media.[/QUOTE]

True. On the other hand, Bear Knives have received a huge amount of publicity as a result of the Daily Mail (who didn't get in a tiz about knives for once), the Telegraph, and the Mirror, who all ran the story.

It's a pity about the thread title, the guy seems to have sorted everything out amicably.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was however done in his name by his representatives. Whilst he may not have instructed the company to do it, he is the person who is ultimately responsible for what is done on behalf of his company.

I hold the MD and shareholders responsible for the actions of Tesco. I hold Grylls responsible for the actions of the company he owns and sets the policies for.

It is good that he stopped a malicious action. It would have been much better had his firm not started it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It was however done in his name by his representatives. Whilst he may not have instructed the company to do it, he is the person who is ultimately responsible for what is done on behalf of his company.

I hold the MD and shareholders responsible for the actions of Tesco. I hold Grylls responsible for the actions of the company he owns and sets the policies for.

It is good that he stopped a malicious action. It would have been much better had his firm not started it.

I see they are only representing the marketing company, rather than Bear himself, so it's not his firm at all. It's probably some jobsworth googling "bear" and "bushcraft" then sending bullying emails.

I'm not really a fan of the bloke, but I still think he acted quickly and responsibly. Andy and Owen seem very happy with the way it's been handled.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If the company that markets his products or uses his name is acting irresponsibly, then he needs to act. It would have been better had he ensured, from the start, that his nickname could not be used in bullying and browbeating. The man has taken large sums of money - with wealth comes responsibility. Assuming you can take the money, but duck the responsibility, has led to many of today's problems with big business.

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
Only just seen this thread, thanks for the support guys it's appreciated. We are not quite out of the woods yet, the lawyers have still yet to retract their legal letter although it seems we do have the support of BG, it also seems he isn't in full control of the situation :s

Anyway, thanks again

Andy

Bear Blades

www.bearblades.co.uk
www.facebook.com/bearblades

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE