Dogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Never too early to start training a jack - they're bright as buttons right from the get-go.

I've got one - cracking little dog, but prefers running and chasing things to sitting cooking things (unless you happen to spill a pan of bacon fat into some snow, at which point he's the heaviest jack russel on the planet and the deafest)

Monty_phone.jpg

They're cute when they're little...

Monty_remote.jpg

...and falling asleep everywhere.

But by the time they're 18 months old they're 'barking at the postman' at 3am, savaging 12 roll packs of toilet tissue to redecorate the kitchen with and generally being uncatchable.

monty.jpg

I'm reliably informed, this will never cease! :D

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I usually take my black Lab bitch with me. She's 19 months old and mad as a very mad thing :) She too gets very protective around camp, growling if anything comes near but is a big softy really.

25062009176.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was another thread recently about which was the best bushy dog. Lurchers and terriers like JRTs came out best.

I went to a pub in the LAkes a few years ago and there was a tiny JRT puppy burning itself in front of the fire. Someone asked if it ever moved and the landlord said not very often. Still it was very young (6 weeks I thik he said but had eyes open and its litter brother was running around as well. Then in came the mother and a dog from the previous litter. It seems they had the dam and one from previous litters.. They were keeping the more lively dog but wanted to pass on the sleeping one. They said yours for a fiver. I aksed if it had to be in change (as they were selling pints for £2 since they didn't have change from £3 (no change to make up 20p).

That night I mentioned it to parents meaning they might want it having always said they would get a dog when retired (just retired). They told me to get it and they'd look after it when I was at work. Anyway to cut a long story short it went before I could get it. Still regret it. My Grandparents had a JRT which was older than me at the time. It could not walk far so I thought all JRTs were like that. Took pursuading from folk to accept that JRTs are energetic little things who could walk as far as me. Still not convinced such a little one could go for 25 mile + walks. I'd defrinately never take one on one of my 40+ mile walks if I ever got one. A springer Spaniel or a collie could cope but not a JRT.

Cute pics BTW, tell me where you live and you'll lose it. :D

Locky

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2010
South wales
LOL@ Paul.

this one is only 7 months and training is going well although he gets so excited he wets himself, and i cant tell him its wrong i dont think, but hes going to have to grow out of it. all he does is sleep tho, but im taking him out 3x a day to keep his energy down.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have two bench slugs (Lab bitches) Love em to bits except for their food habits!:eek: They are good guard dogs and will be very fierce at the gate.
I was given a Lurcher bitch last Christmas (Running dog!) I have just started training her to come back to me. This is interesting, because if one remembers the clip in the Incredibles film where Mr Incredible throws a ball for his son Dash, who runs over the little hills getting smaller and smaller and smaller....Well, that is how this running dog goes, like a shot, getting ever smaller. My fault perhaps, as I let her off in the unfenced field for the first time and she got off on a Hare. Eight minutes later I could see her heading back towards me. Mr Hare, luckily, had got away. Most importantly though, she was coming back.
This was over the Christmas holidays. Last week-end we took her in our neighbours long field, with hedges down either side, for more training and she runs out for 600 yards and curls back on the whistle....Very exciting to have a dog so fast!:D She's hopeless as a guard dog though, as she wants to be friends with all things and play, chase, run, bark!

Swyn.

Jun 13, 2008
mold
well jacks are a great dog and will walk forever mine keeps up with me and the new collie pup the jack is 3 and the collie is 8 months nothing stops them short of a hike for the day have taken the jack up snowdon no problem and they fit in your sleeping bag to keep feet warm

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I went to a pub in the LAkes a few years ago and there was a tiny JRT puppy burning itself in front of the fire. Someone asked if it ever moved and the landlord said not very often. Still it was very young (6 weeks I thik he said but had eyes open and its litter brother was running around as well. Then in came the mother and a dog from the previous litter.

Church House Inn in Torver by any chance?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Adze - yes it was. Lucky guess or were you there?

Missed out there I think. I reckon a JRT is perfect dog for me. They have the energy and stamina but I do know they are just as happy sleeping in the sun or a warm place. If I had taken it on I guarantee the landing would be its sleeping spot during the day while I'm at work. Hottest place in the house. I also know it would be about 2 years old by now and as well trained as it would ever get by now and probably be just like me in that it never gets tired in the hills until well over 20 miles under our feet,

BTW if anyone is looking for a dog please consider a rescue dog, please. A relative took on a resuce JRT who had been part of a criminal cruelty case. It had all its vet bills paid for by RSPCA since it had been so badly abused. It kept walking into door frames because it had been kicked so much it was brain damaged so it saw things ok but they were to one side by a foot I'd say which meant it did bang into things. The only time that was not a problem was on a walk when she was let off the lead and allowed to rummage through the undergrowth chasing down scents and flushing out rats and rabbits. It was like it had nothing wrong with it. I am not completely sure it caught much but I was just proud of the fact it could still catch stuff. You would hear a load of noise from the undergrowth then a squeak as it caught and despatched something. Whilst not a dog most people would consider I do think my great aunt and uncle deserved a great big pat on the back because they gave the last 4-5 years of its life the chance for the real dog to come out and it would have been a cracker of a dog if those buggers hadn't beaten it so.

Zorro - I've seen ppl with that alpine mountain dog breed being pulled up hill before now in the lakes. The best advice for someone with a strong dog is to put a harness on it and use its strength to ,make it easier for you, BTW the mountain dog is not a st bernard but a separate breed. A utility dog used for herding, guarding and even pulling carts. Staffies are quite a powerful breed. They are also a major problem in rescue centres. There are so many of them and they tend not to get re-homed as quickly as a nice little JRT or Lab or little fluffy. In the Lakes area Collies are another common rescue breed, Similar to other more rural counties too.

i still wish I could get a lurcher. Thats my breed of choice.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Adze - yes it was. Lucky guess or were you there?
Bit of lucky guess, bit of reasoned answer.

I'm not far from there and it's a good pub on the way back from some of my favourite country in the county, so I'm an infrequent visitor. They've still got the bitch and I remembered them saying they'd had a couple of litters from her - and they have an open fire going most of the time it seems - too coincidental to be mere coincidence ;)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'll be 43 this year and having recovered from a broken lower leg last spring and the attendant ligament niggles etc, I'm really enjoying getting out and about again as I used to. This site though, has to be given credit for opening my eyes to what's around me.

What really makes my bimbles/walks/overnighters etc enjoyable, is the "rescued dog" who was lumbered with me.

To see a dog (that had been chained to a concrete balcony for most of his first 7months) explore and enjoy the countryside we have here is heart lifting.

The fact that I stumbled (trying to avoid him when in his fast "sniff mode") out on a walk within the week I got him and ended up crocked is by the by.

TBH it's been a blessing.

Walking a young dog who's pulling on a lead while I'm on crutches, ended up in a tangle of leather, crutches, a panicked whine, snapping of teeth, curses and many bruises. That was just me - to his credit, he lay low, wide eyed thinking the sky had fallen in, poor dog.

He now warily walks to heel, on or off the lead, expecting me to "Big Daddy Splash" him when he's not looking.

Like Paul B, I'd recommend a rescue dog to anyone. Yes, they can be a bit "individual" at times, but you'll give them a life they'd never have had.

I've heard before that rescued dog's will repay you many times over.

Dunno about that, he's brought me more I.O.U's than rabbits...

I wouldn't swap him for all the tea in China though. :)

I've had dogs all my life, and he's the best all round dog I've ever had.

Once I get permission on here to post attachments, I'll post a pic of him.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Two border terriers, terrors is closer to it. Fantastic little dogs, full of mischief and character. My two are hopeless at catching stuff though, they chased a rabbit once then legged it when they had it cornered! They get walked all round cheshire, most of the lakes and snowdonia and love sleeping in a tent best of all, cos they get to keep the dad warm.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Two border terriers, terrors is closer to it. Fantastic little dogs, full of mischief and character. My two are hopeless at catching stuff though, they chased a rabbit once then legged it when they had it cornered! They get walked all round cheshire, most of the lakes and snowdonia and love sleeping in a tent best of all, cos they get to keep the dad warm.

I spent a couple of days and an overnighter on the Pentland Hills (Mon-Tues) and the dog was invaluable in keeping me warm.

I woke up to a frozen tent (specs in the pouch had ice on them) when the fella wanted out for a pee. Freezing fog pea souper which turned the condensation to ice.

The only problem is his excellent hearing. He'd give a low growl or do the "ears up, head side to side" movement thing at times and stand over me.

Sounds like a good thing, but it's not when you've pitched on a slight slope (with the dog as an arrestor block/warmer) and the sleeping bag starts moving sideways...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Miyagi - You weren't the guy who posted about taking a dog on from a miserable excuse of a human at work a while back? Someone took on a dog from a work colleague no-one got on with who chained his dog up on a balcony for all its young life. Was that you? If not then there's two good ppl out there not just you.

The trouble with rescue dogs is they have problems and have bad habits and become problem dogs requiring a lot of work to sort them out and you can't leave them around kids becuase you don't know if they'll snap. These are all the arguments against getting a rescue dog I had but are all a load of rubbish. Centres (of reputable) will not re-home dogs to ppl who can't cope with them. Each dog is matched to the owner. Yes you will have to work with them to build up trust and also to ensure they have recall but that's only a little more work than if you'd bought a young pup from a breeder. Trust is earnt with dogs IMHO. Whatever you do you must take the advice of the centre too. I heard of these two australian sheep dogs (think blue merle coats and like a collie) who were found in a small cupboard during a drugs raid. The forst one got re-homed to a family who ignored the advice of the centre to not let him off the lead for at least 2-3 months as it has trust issues and no recall. What diod they do? They let it off the lead the next weekend on Loughrigg never to see it again. Poor thing would have died up there. I nearly took on the second one who was very scared. It would only sleep in the most cramped possition it could find because it gave it comfort. That was jammed in behind its basket against the wall.

If only I could have a dog. :(

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just wondering who has a dog and takes them bushcrafting? what breed too?
ive just taken in a puppy Jack Russell.
Heres the previous thread on this
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45641&highlight=making&page=3

Anyone thinking of a rescue dog, we have had loads (only returned one which would only come to me and wrecked the house when I was working away - even though SWMBO was always there with it), please be cautious. As said previously by others, some have deep social problems that will never leave them. We currently have a Papillion that is fine most of the time, but occasionally snaps. It was in an RSPCA home where the handlers had to lasso it to get it out of its run, and it was going to be put down, as none of the handlers could go near it without being bitten. It slipped the leash when we visited and ran to SWMBO (sitting in her wheelchair), jumped on her lap and licked her face:dunno:.
It will sit hours watching the Grandchildren sleep (especially if they are unwell) but won't go near them when they are awake. Our other cross Papillion plays all day with them. SWMBO declares if we aver have another one it will not be from a rescue home :(

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
We have 5 dogs taht all like to come to woods with me.

2 american staffordshire terriers
1 pitbull & am staff mixed breed
1 calgo from spain,rescue dog
1 mixed breed from Tallinn,14 years old and my best outdoors furry buddy.

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
This is Frodo, Flat Coat Retriever/Collie Cross

2uy0fhj.jpg

And yup when they're young they're ever so cute....

v3i1it.jpg

This is a great thread, Frodo looks like a very special dog! my girlfriend and I love dogs and spend most of our spare time checking out others. I grew up with dogs we had and old english, then bearded collie's. I like pointers this week. Have silly jobs that would prevent the amount of time required to fully dedicate to the kind of dogs we like.

Keep the photos coming!:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE