Dogs for sleds + sleds for dogs :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Me and my father want to get Huskies for sleds.
I think we will go to Ukraine to get the puppies , we want 4 of them about 6 months old.
Maybe some of you has some experience with this and can suggest better place to get the puppies?

Also my big question is , where can I buy a sled ? and how much will it cost ? aproximetely

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I think it'll be a while before you can pull a sledge/rig with dog's if they are 6 months old. Your best bet would be on one of the sledge dog forums.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I know that they are hard bred to handle I have two huskies in my life one when I was a kid and one a few years ago.
Ok I will check it out , do you know where can I find sleds maybe?

I know that it will take time , I'm not planing for this winter , I will take care of them teach them and next winter they will be ready

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
They tend to run them behind quads to keep them fit.You need to look into it a lot more. Its a huge responsibility.
Find somebody local who has their own teams and ask them politely if you could go and visit them and ask some questions of them.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
They tend to run them behind quads to keep them fit.You need to look into it a lot more. Its a huge responsibility.
Find somebody local who has their own teams and ask them politely if you could go and visit them and ask some questions of them.

I am the FIRST man who will have this in my country :)

Oct 23, 2013
Pudsey
I have 3 Siberian huskys and my advise would be to start training them with gee haw turn commands while walking them on a walking belt, they should not be pulling a sled till they are at least 12 months old and not doing to much as there joints have not fully formed at that age, you could start them off pulling a scooter or just a bike at first as they don't need much effort to keep them going and it's easier to help them on the inclines, I have built my own sledge that is a light weight trail sled that my 2 eldest dogs can pull with ease I will try and post some pics.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I have 3 Siberian huskys and my advise would be to start training them with gee haw turn commands while walking them on a walking belt, they should not be pulling a sled till they are at least 12 months old and not doing to much as there joints have not fully formed at that age, you could start them off pulling a scooter or just a bike at first as they don't need much effort to keep them going and it's easier to help them on the inclines, I have built my own sledge that is a light weight trail sled that my 2 eldest dogs can pull with ease I will try and post some pics.

In january I am going in Ukraine for the dogs , they will be more than 18 months when time will come for going on the trail.
But the sled is still under question , I don't know where to get it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I knew an old lady who had ran dogs.

Very expensive with high octane dog food.

You need at least 3 for a good team. (But why not one for a wee sledge on snowy walks or help you x country ski as they do in Scandanavia/Japan?)

In this country we have races a few miles long which is a world away from the Iditarod (or Greenland)

Siberian huskies are probably most pettable, as they are family dogs. Greenland dogs and Malmutes more stand offish

Iditarod dogs special bred, mostly tough houndsxhusky. They are shorthaired so they dont overheat (and allegedly have wee coats for cold weather which is a marvelous and terrible mental image, -huskies in dog coats)

Any help to you?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
*update*

Today me and my father went to see the puppies , they are awesome :) tomorrow we will go and take them to the mountains in our house , I will post a picture of them tomorrow :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE