'Dogs as alternatives to knives'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you become a member of the Dogs Trust (£20 a year) you get 'free' 3rd part public liability insurance. £1M cover IIRC

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/membership/default.aspx

No idea where they got the figure of £700 a year from. Perhaps it's for a scally with previous convictions owning a veritable herd of 'pitbull type' dogs.

How the bloody hell they'll police it is anyones guess.

Just noticed that it's England and Wales, does this mean mine will have to have cover for when he goes on his holidays?
Paid u member fron this minute. Thanks for the link.
Not joined just for insurance, looks like a worthwile charity as well :You_Rock_ goodjob

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
There are about 8 million dogs in the UK.

There are possibly a few thousand dependency culture thugs who abuse dogs for their own ends.

So, in order to look as if they are doing something, 8 million people are going to be inconvenienced by HMG. The thugs will, as usual, ignore any laws or restrictions.

Old folks who have a dog for company; "Dogs for...." users; field sports dogs users; agility dog enthusiasts etc etc, will all be put to extra expense and bureaucratic twaddle.

For the record, my own dogs are fully comprehensively insured and chipped because I chose to.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There are about 8 million dogs in the UK.

There are possibly a few thousand dependency culture thugs who abuse dogs for their own ends.

So, in order to look as if they are doing something, 8 million people are going to be inconvenienced by HMG. The thugs will, as usual, ignore any laws or restrictions.

Old folks who have a dog for company; "Dogs for...." users; field sports dogs users; agility dog enthusiasts etc etc, will all be put to extra expense and bureaucratic twaddle.

For the record, my own dogs are fully comprehensively insured and chipped because I chose to.

I understand the whole 'the majority suffers because of an idiotic minority' argument Mike.
What would you do about it though? I'm genuinely asking:)
A lot of folks on here live in the country and generally don't have to put up with chav types who breed/keep dogs just to be macho or even fight them. But a lot of us live in towns and cities and this is a big concern. Our kids have to share the local parks with d***heads and their beefed up snarling dogs.
For the record Staffies are my favourite breed as I grew up with them and I think Pit Bulls are a lovely breed. Very misunderstood and abused IMO

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
The innocent have nothing to fear. That is except the government who seem to be going out of their way to criminalise the innocent in every damn way possible...

i think what this boils down to is the governments disrespect of us as a people, they don't believe there's anyone out there with any common sense anymore anyone who's decent. i'm half inclined to agree sometimes when you see the state of the ignorant types that roam the streets. however, i know there's a hard core of decent people in this country and we get stiffed by all these ridiculous laws and silly scaremongering.

look at the last time the tories were in, how many civil liberties were effected? (granted it was our wallets that were effected) now look at what labour have done, we can't take pictures of buildings in the street, anything gun or knife shaped is going to send you to either jail or the morgue, owning a dog will soon require you to have insurance just incase it mauls someone (chiuaua would be hilarious for quotations) i can go on and on and on. its sickening not to mention riding the economy into the ground like slim pickins riding the nuke in dr strangelove...

bugger it, the gov't has no respect for me, thats fine the feelings mutual.

i think compare the meerkat will soon branch out to dogs mind, talk about money maker.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I understand the whole 'the majority suffers because of an idiotic minority' argument Mike.
What would you do about it though? I'm genuinely asking:)
A lot of folks on here live in the country and generally don't have to put up with chav types who breed/keep dogs just to be macho or even fight them. But a lot of us live in towns and cities and this is a big concern. Our kids have to share the local parks with d***heads and their beefed up snarling dogs.
For the record Staffies are my favourite breed as I grew up with them and I think Pit Bulls are a lovely breed. Very misunderstood and abused IMO

I would use the law as it stands.

Get rid of "Targets" for the Police and get their pen pushers out on the street.
Zero tolerance for threatening behaviour; assault; causing fear and alarm, all using dogs.

While they're at it they can clamp down on all the other anti social activity that takes the pleasure out of living in a city.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dead easy to solve the problem. You are responsible for your dog. Thats it. If your dog does it - its no different in law than if you had done it. If someone owns a dog that kills someone, the law treats it as if the owner had done it.

That's what happens if I abuse any of my possessions. I choose to own a rifle. If it causes injury through my act or failure to act, I am responsible. Why would it be different for a dog I choose to own than a gun I choose to own? If I cause another to suffer through action or neglect, I am responsible. If no one suffers, no problem.

Simple.

If we just make people accountable for the things they do, own, and ignore, life is easy again.

Red

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Dead easy to solve the problem. You are responsible for your dog. Thats it. If your dog does it - its no different in law than if you had done it. If someone owns a dog that kills someone, the law treats it as if the owner had done it.

That's what happens if I abuse any of my possessions. I choose to own a rifle. If it causes injury through my act or failure to act, I am responsible. Why would it be different for a dog I choose to own than a gun I choose to own? If I cause another to suffer through action or neglect, I am responsible. If no one suffers, no problem.

Simple.

If we just make people accountable for the things they do, own, and ignore, life is easy again.

Red

Once again we are of like mind BR

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
What did really annoy me this morning was the lack of distinction between size and attitude of dog ("all big dogs must be kept on leads at all times") with no regard to breed and training; and some sort of belief that a dog is only "under control" when it's muzzled and on a lead. My labs are perfectly under control and don't even have collars (OK, so I appreciate that's technically illegal, but a collar is a danger in thick bushes etc). I can get them back at the blow of a whistle. That's under control by my reckoning.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I once saw a boy badly mauled because he went to pat an obviously nervous dog.

Didn't his parents ever tell him don't pat or approach any dog unknown to you?

A dog likely to harm a person should be put down if untrainable. End of.

Folk that have grown up with dogs, know a dog must know his place, for the dog's benefit and everyone else's.

It's usually the owners fault (or previous owner's if a rescued dog) if a dog turns out to be anti social, though some of the smaller breeds are notoriously nippy, yappy and not so easily trained.

Owning a dog is a resonsibility that chavs and inner city scum can't handle and yet we all are tarred by the same brush.

Dog/Owner training should be compulsory when collecting a new dog from kennels, pounds, rescue centres etc. Only after completeing this should the prospective owner be allowed to have the dog on a permanent basis.

The dog I've got, I rescued from an arrse who couldn't control it. With me it's been fine and is a totally different dog.

I grew up with sheep dogs and around dogs so I've been lucky, not everyone has had a background growing up with dogs, so a course would help.

Don't get me wrong I've been ripped by other's dogs over the years and it isn't pleasant.

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
Hahahhaaaaa :)

Too late, they're called Chihuahuas.

There is NEVER a valid reason to carry a Chihuahua. The police will be instructed to confiscate said dogs if found in the possession of a wannabe WAG as on the grounds that they are offensive.

I want that made into a law. Ugg boots, pink velour tracksuits and sunglasses that could be used by a welder should also be confiscated.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
There is NEVER a valid reason to carry a Chihuahua. The police will be instructed to confiscate said dogs if found in the possession of a wannabe WAG as on the grounds that they are offensive.

I want that made into a law. Ugg boots, pink velour tracksuits and sunglasses that could be used by a welder should also be confiscated.

Confiscate the dog - which one?

The one with or without the boots? :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Officer to suspect "where did you get that ugly unnatural looking bitch"?

BOD

My dog is there to threaten and intimidate anyone who enters my house and fenced garden.

With knife/machete robberies commonplace in this country and just meters from our front gate the innocent as well as the crims ought to stay clear.

While others are often burgled we have never had any trouble in years.

An innocent lad made the mistake the other day of sticking his arm through the gate to open the latch and was bitten.

I feel sorry for him but he ought to have known better.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire

The worst bit is that these so-called 'status' dogs so often end up carried in Prada handbags. Carrying a concealed mutt is an even worse offence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE