Dog chew toys as a source of raw hide?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
As the post says, anyone have any experiance with this?

I was getting a bag of cat food yesterday and saw some of those knotted bones and a pair of shoes that wear held together with what I think was rawhide lace.

So could I get them and soak them in water to take them apart and get some raw hide/ rawhide lace for some projects I have in mind?

Anyone tried this? is it doomed to fail? :yikes:

Or has someone done this successfully and have any tips or warnings or things to watch out for?

As always any nd all advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Stephen

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The rawhide bone chews are my sole source of rawhide.
Quality and the size of pieces varies with the insides often stuffed with uselessly small pieces.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have found that most are a single sheet of rawhide packed with the offcuts to bulk it out. Nonetheless it is a good source if you need it. You might get lucky and be able to cut laces from the offcuts.

ATB

Ogri the trog

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i bought a giant rawhide bone from pets at home for a tenner i got 2 big pieces and loads of small ones i use it to back bows definately worth £10

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got a giant bone shaped chew and there was enough 2.5 inch wide strips to go around a 2/3rds sized norman kite shield and leave me with plenty spare. It dried absolutely rock hard.
KiteShield08_zps8bff0b1f.jpg

ATB

Tom

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
I have found that most are a single sheet of rawhide packed with the offcuts to bulk it out. Nonetheless it is a good source if you need it. You might get lucky and be able to cut laces from the offcuts.

ATB

Ogri the trog

The ones that are 3/4 layered strips with a couple of knots at each end are the best value as the entire piece is usable (and quite often they are one long strap). The ones structured to look somewhat like a bone are generally one wide piece stuffed with offcuts, If you need a wider strip of rawhide, they are better, but for laces/straps go with the layered ones.
Soaking in tepid water is the best, but if you leave it too long (because you forgot it for a couple of days), the rawhide goes quite slimy and tends to squidge about when you're cutting it making it easy to make mistakes.

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
I was in a big pet shop yesterday and they had rawhide discs, like dinner plate sized bowls if you need bigger pieces.

ATB

tom
I'm certain I've seen a round one used to make the skin drum on a home made banjo! Clever stuff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE