Dog bowl stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tigger004

Feb 27, 2011
Northants
This is something I have been toying with, I like the idea of a third bowl cut to create the cover for the wood feed hole.
I am about to test a diesel heater exhaust pipe as a flue.
Few questions if I may. .....
Did you use a damper anywhere on the flue side.
Do you use a hearth plate in the base.
Do you have an air inlet other than the wood feed hole.

I'm looking to have motorcycle spokes as the legs (they've got feet and a threaded bit at the top)
A friend of mine, Red Fox came up with an idea for a stove based on one which uses two catering type dishes on top of each other. Instead of the catering dishes we used dog bowls. I found some stainless shim steel on eBay to use for the flue. I also made some stove jacks for our canvas arctic tents out of plumbers soldering blankets and Kevlar thread. This is what we came up with.

DSC_0254_zpslen4adl3.jpg

DSC_0226_zps192ckeho.jpg

DSC_0229_zps3fajg1qy.jpg

DSC_0251_zpseetp74te.jpg

DSC_0252_zpsoxle4dem.jpg

DSC_0263_zpsqspsiqpr.jpg

DSC_0264_zpsmqw7ejmm.jpg

DSC_0272_zpstvnqn5bs.jpg

Great job gents.
This is something I have been toying with, I like the idea of a third bowl cut to create the cover for the wood feed hole.

I'm looking to have motorcycle spokes as the legs (they've got feet and a threaded bit at the top)

Reactions: welchyd1

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
That looks like a very nice job - thanks for sharing.

Re dog bowls, I have a set of large ones (c. 2 l capacity) that I use for mixing bowls with Scouts - they replaced the Tesco plastic ones that only lasted a couple of days at camp while teaching bread making. The metal bowls won't break and can be boiled to ensure they're clean.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside

Great job gents.

We used no damper, no hearth plate and no additional air holes. The burn was controlled purely by the size of the gap left in the feed hole. They were extremely basic bits of kit only designed for a quick blast of heat in the tent whilst in the Arctic to carry out essential admin duties in comfort.

Reactions: Tigger004

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE