Does this sound like fox?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Was talking with someone on Friday and she reckons a fox got in with her chickens (20,000 free range) and killed/ate the head off of one, leaving the body behind.

I said I don't think it's fox and would put it down to a small mustelid or possibly domestic cat. What does anyone else think?

It's sketchy information but that's all the sense I could muster.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What area is it in? we had a problem with stoats here a while ago causes a lot of damage
This is in Somerset - mainly dairy farmland.

was there any other sign or damage to the fences etc?
Not sure, all I was hearing was wailings that it was a fox "because that's what foxes do" nobody prepared to acknowledge that it was anything else.
I don't see why a fox would just eat the head from just one chicken.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unlikely to be a cat normally chickens see off cats. Doesn't seem like a fox either.

Stoat or weasel?

Could have been a fox which was subsequently disturbed. They will go into pens, eat a few and kill loads leaving them behind.

Definitely sounds more like a raptor. The first thing that goes is the head as that is where the danger is to them and they are the most likely to take just one at a time. Possible it's been mobbed and took off without it's kill.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Yup, Buzzard was the one I had in mind, I don't think they'd normally go for chooks but in this weather when there's slim pickings...

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd go with a disturbed bird of prey too.

When times are lean...

I've known a parent peregrine to take a pheasant and return to nest site 8hrs after last seen with parts of it.

I have seen a Tawny Owl do this to a pheasant, It had been happening for weeks and we lost many birds, we eventually caught the culprit red handed(winged) one evening at dusk.

Some times they will just open the cranium and take the brain.
A tawny would probably find it easy to enter a chicken house, they are very small under all those feathers.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I have seen a Tawny Owl do this to a pheasant, It had been happening for weeks and we lost many birds, we eventually caught the culprit red handed(winged) one evening at dusk.

Some times they will just open the cranium and take the brain.
A tawny would probably find it easy to enter a chicken house, they are very small under all those feathers.

Interesting situation when the 'culprit' is untouchable - how do you deal with it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE