Does anyone recognise this pot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
My dad has had a ?military surplus cooking pot for some years.

It’s a couple of litres in capacity, ?made of aluminium and appears to work as a pressure cooker (due to a small valve on the lid and the substantial clasps that’s hold the lid down).

I’ve searchedall I’ve the place and can’t seem to work out what it is or where it’s from?

The writing on the lid is German, French and Italian (possibly Swiss?) and say essentially the same thing: Remove lid before warming.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 909527F3-563F-4D23-89A8-5144F01A7ADD.jpeg
    909527F3-563F-4D23-89A8-5144F01A7ADD.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 7CC2A30A-7B90-4842-8ADE-82AF6253EA76.jpeg
    7CC2A30A-7B90-4842-8ADE-82AF6253EA76.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 64
I think that's German, French and Italian and says something like remove lid before warming up.

Is it an old style of flask? Or some sort a vacuum sealed container.

EDIT: didn't fully read your post at first just the title and the pictures. Can see you already figured the languages. I am airing on the side of a vacuum flask though.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Hudson

Jun 30, 2017
London
My dad has had a ?military surplus cooking pot for some years.

It’s a couple of litres in capacity, ?made of aluminium and appears to work as a pressure cooker (due to a small valve on the lid and the substantial clasps that’s hold the lid down).

I’ve searchedall I’ve the place and can’t seem to work out what it is or where it’s from?

The writing on the lid is German, French and Italian (possibly Swiss?) and say essentially the same thing: Remove lid before warming.

Any help would be appreciated.
Pointed out by my father that the text actually says remove lid before re-heating... so perhaps a pot for preserving, similar to a Kilmer jar... still no luck searching for one though!!!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks like a re-heating pot to me.
Cooked food packed into it, then it's transported to where it's needed. Is the valve a safely thing in case some numpty doesn't lift the lid ? (not unheard of, we all know the issues with the bung in the kelly kettle) and turn it into a bomb or most unsafe to open when heated.
If it's placed into hot water and slowly simmered, it's a great way to heat up stuff like stew without needing to constantly stir to stop it sticking. Good way to keep food hot on site too.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
It makes sense that it has a valve IF it is to carry hot contents, and that the lid is secure, if the pot is to be handled by it (can't hold the sides, as it is single-walled and will be hot!). Sounds like this is to transport hot/cooked food to me.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah my thought too.. and the warming is referring to pasteurisation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE