Does anyone make proper coffee in the woods and how?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can see why Red. He's right about not wanting to release the "bitter" from the coffee as he called it (actually the tannins) But it has less to do with how long the coffee brews but more to do with the temparature. The right temp is slightly LESS than boiling. If you brew at boiling, it WILL be bitter. The easiest way is to boil the water, set it off the heat, and let it cool a minute or two before adding the grounds and beginning the timing.

He proves it himself when he suggests adding milk and/or sugar to lessen the bitter taste. Good coffee needs absolutely nothing.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nothing wrong with adding anything you "fancy." What's wrong is if it "needs" something. That seemed to be the context of his comments, in the video, that adding the milk and brown sugar was to cover up the bitter taste. If you add something because you "fancy" it that way, that's fine. But if it "needs" something, it ain't good coffee.

That said, I sometimes add either or both for the same reason. Almost always if drinking instant.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use a perc, pot, espresso machine, moca pot, Ibrik, press and they all make a different brew. The idea of boiling producing a bitter coffee is nonsense really. several methods use boiling water and produce a good drink, each method has its merits.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
The addition of Gingerbread syrup from Monin is all that's needed:)
I like bitter coffee:cool:

The only decent 3 in1 coffee I have ever found was a Nescafé turbo bought in Thailand.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I use a perc, pot, espresso machine, moca pot, Ibrik, press and they all make a different brew. The idea of boiling producing a bitter coffee is nonsense really. several methods use boiling water and produce a good drink, each method has its merits.

I don't know Rik,
Different coffee makers use different temps of water and so different bitternesses of coffee are achieved. Perked or cafétiere the water tends to be off boil and a smoother cup. Stove top expressomakers scald the coffee and so a more bitter flavour comes through.
Even with instant, if you take milk and sugar. Add them first, milk a little at a time to form a paste then add rest. This mixing of the three adds air and protects the coffee from scalding when you add the water that is OFF the boil (as it says on the directions of a lot of instant coffees.) End up with a slightly better slightly frothy coffee.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I don't know Rik,
Different coffee makers use different temps of water and so different bitternesses of coffee are achieved. Perked or cafétiere the water tends to be off boil and a smoother cup. Stove top expressomakers scald the coffee and so a more bitter flavour comes through.
Even with instant, if you take milk and sugar. Add them first, milk a little at a time to form a paste then add rest. This mixing of the three adds air and protects the coffee from scalding when you add the water that is OFF the boil (as it says on the directions of a lot of instant coffees.) End up with a slightly better slightly frothy coffee.

I can tell straight away if someone has chucked boiling water straight onto the coffee, especially with instant. Orrible.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
We usually make coffee in a Trangia pot. The type you boil with the water and then let sink. Don't know what it's called in English.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't know Rik,

Perc coffee is boiling to all intent and purpose (but its easy to stew it), Greek coffee is boiled, its how you make it. Instant is a sort of coffee flavoured drink, one I don't drink often to be honest but I'll admit to being a fresh coffee lover. I like it black, with milk, cream, sweetened condensed milk, with booze, evaporated milk...they all have a place in Ricardo's coffee world :) I recently bought a stainless steel press from Wilkinson's, doubled walled which is well worth the money and it means your second cup is still hot, £16 IIRC. Nice mug of Darjeeling tea on the go though at the moment :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I used to be a real coffee fiend, and had sooo many ways of making it, Turkish coffee with ground or choped figs in it was my fave. But I cant take that much coffee these days and have become a bit of a tea jenny. Still get my brewing perversion as making good tea is wonderfull. Though for quick fixes I use instant Turkish lemon or apple teas though they're very sugary. I always thought it safer to have tea at someones house I didn't know as bad tea (I take it black) is usually drinkable, but coffee is so easy to make vomit inducing.
So who's up on their Army tea/coffee vernacular? If I asked for the following what would you give me?

Tea - Whoopie Goldberg
Coffee - Julie Andrews
Coffee - Nato standard

GB

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I used to be a real coffee fiend, and had sooo many ways of making it, Turkish coffee with ground or choped figs in it was my fave. But I cant take that much coffee these days and have become a bit of a tea jenny. Still get my brewing perversion as making good tea is wonderfull. Though for quick fixes I use instant Turkish lemon or apple teas though they're very sugary. I always thought it safer to have tea at someones house I didn't know as bad tea (I take it black) is usually drinkable, but coffee is so easy to make vomit inducing.
So who's up on their Army tea/coffee vernacular? If I asked for the following what would you give me?

Tea - Whoopie Goldberg
Coffee - Julie Andrews
Coffee - Nato standard

GB

I would say a Whoopie Goldberg is black with no sugar and I know Nato standard is white 2 sugars, havent got a clue about a Julie Andrews though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well that was a quick quiz.
Tea - Whoopie Goldberg - Black Nun (Black no sugar)
Coffee - Julie Andrews - White Nun (White no sugar)
Coffee - Nato standard - Milk & 2 sugar
All correct.
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE