Does anyone know how to sharpen a serrated blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi guys

i need a bit of help. I've got a rescue knife for when I'm canoeing, but when it turned up it was next to useless for cutting. I've sharpened up the normal edge, but not sure how to do the serrated edge. Now I've not got any fancy sharpening kits, just whets stones, wet and dry and a falkner DC 3 and 4.

any tips?

cheers

Jack

866a55e557de3a59fbfc5945b6b688dd_zps9ce23e02.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that the Lomo knife? I've been toying with getting one recently

I think you need some triangular or narrow-round files or stones for serrations

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
or might you be looking for a budget solution, get some wet and dry, grits 400, 800, 1200, and if you want to do a good job a 2000 as well.
and shape a stick into shape to match the serrations, stick on the wet and dry with a spray glue, or contact adhesive ( spray glue is easier and better though, as it wont have lumps and bumps in it and has less deformation under pressure)
and voila you very own, limited use sharpening stick/ file.
Finish the entire process of with a nice strop and some stropping compound ( like perhaps Smurf poo), and you will be good to go

Hope that was useful to anyone
Yours sincerely Ruud

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Cheers Guys

to answer a few points:

yes it is the Lomo and it is nowhere near as sharp as their demo video would suggest, but that can always be sharpened. It's not a bad bit of kit and hopefully if stopped by the police it's lack of a point and bright colour would help convince them I'm not a knife wielding maniac. Mide you the axe and bushcraft knife in my bag might say otherwise.

Will check out my needle files, if I can find them.

nice looking sharpening tools, sadly I'm fly to Scotland on Thursday so don't have time, or budget to buy new kit.

the wet and dry sticks (sorry for over simplifying) is definitely doable.

but the winner is the "just sharpen the flat side". As this will get me ready for Thursday

thanks for your help guys

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
One tip I've been given (although I've never used it) is to use a wire wheel on the ground side of the serrations and a stone on the flat side.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Last time I sharpened a serrated blade I used fine wet and dry around cocktail sticks and bamboo skewers. Wrap a section around the stick, hold the loose ends closer to the stick so it's nice and tight. Worked a treat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
Crudest yet effective method I saw. Elderly gentleman fixing the blade on my sawtable. He just took an electric grinder for angles and sharpened with patience every tooth of the sawblade.
should be easy to do on a small knife. Sharp as anything now that sawtable blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE