Does anyone know anything about "RIBZ" - front carriers/pockets for use with a pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi,

I have a 45 litre bag with extra side pockets = c.60 litres that I use for most trips.

When I'm assessing DofE groups, I like to set up a camp and then shadow the groups to see how they're coping - a bit sneaky, but it helps to get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of a team.

I "convert" the issue pockets into a pack using the standard harness. Sometimes, especially when it's dodgy weather, however, I'd like to carry more. One option is to take the main pack and that's what I've usually done.

BUT I have seen these RIBZ things that make me think I need more kit, and a birthday's approaching . . . (I casually mentioned other kit, but SWMBO showed interest in these - think she's after a shot too).

Anyhoo, does anyone have some? Do they like them? Are they worth the cost (+/- £50 I think)?

Any and all comments appreciated.

All the best.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I use one with and without a pack on, and I think it's a great thing; holds phone/tablet, binos, camera, Opinel, keys & money, small fak etc. and is very unobtrusive and light. Well made and reliable, I wouldn't want to be without mine.

I think I would pay the £50 to replace it if it went awol........................Hope this helps :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are you lean built Mac ?
I was told when I asked that if one were kind of padded :rolleyes: then it was like wearing an old fashioned life jacket/hdf buoyancy vest.

I thought they'd be handy too.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes Mary, I'm very lean of shoulder and chest; I'd never thought of how they'd fit somebody "padded", but I see no reason why they wouldn't be comfortable for the bigger built amongst us; they're very adjustable and I'd think it'd be more a matter of how you loaded the various pockets as to how comfortable they'd be. I'm one who can't bear a shoulder bag or knapsack about me, but these almost feel as if they're not there, iimmc?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've been using one for over a year now; excellent bit of kit! For your intended purpose it will work - it's great for carrying items close to hand and you can fit enough in for small excursions like remote supervision. I also help with D of E students outside of lecturing so I can definitely recommend it.
The newer model sounds better as the shoulder straps are more fixed than what I have.
By the way, I use the bigger capacity to reduce pack and pocket load

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've been using one for over a year now; excellent bit of kit! For your intended purpose it will work - it's great for carrying items close to hand and you can fit enough in for small excursions like remote supervision. I also help with D of E students outside of lecturing so I can definitely recommend it.
The newer model sounds better as the shoulder straps are more fixed than what I have.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Yep, strongly recommend the larger sized one :)

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Having worn a chest rig for green activities I rate the idea for accessibility but I'm not convinced I'd want one for general bimbling.
When I'm out with bronze groups I tend to carry a full pack (tent, sleeping bag etc) just to engender a feeling in the candidates that we're all in it together.
With Golds I'm usually operating out of a vehicle so I lob all my kit in a holdall and carry a daypack with hill stuff. I use a Berghaus Freeflow 36 as it keeps my back dry and is festooned with pockets (everything in its place and all that).
If I was carrying a big pack and setting up camp and needed a way of carrying day gear I think that an alpkit Gourdon is a good option. Mine is really comfy and weighs very little and can roll up and stow under the lid of a big pack.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I use one with and without a pack on, and I think it's a great thing; holds phone/tablet, binos, camera, Opinel, keys & money, small fak etc. and is very unobtrusive and light. Well made and reliable, I wouldn't want to be without mine. :)

Good to hear. Thanks.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Are you lean built Mac ?
I was told when I asked that if one were kind of padded :rolleyes: then it was like wearing an old fashioned life jacket/hdf buoyancy vest.
I thought they'd be handy too.
M

Thanks for the comment. I am not as comfortably built as some, so I hope that I'll get away with the bags if I go for them.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray

Thanks for that feedback. I am looking at the newer model.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Intense Angler has a couple of v positive reviews on Youtube, Also one by his GF addressing Toddy's concern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTVHVtpFuN0&list=UUkZqmunq1xPgj7IcK7D7X0A

One thing to think about: if you go for this to carry extra gear,all the weight is on your shoulders. An 80/100 litre ex army Bergen would have the capacity and transfer more of the weight to your hips.

Thanks for the link and advice.

I have a larger pack that I'm trying not to use. The ribz appealed as a way of spreading the load + making bits more accessible when on the trail.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Having worn a chest rig for green activities I rate the idea for accessibility but I'm not convinced I'd want one for general bimbling.
When I'm out with bronze groups I tend to carry a full pack (tent, sleeping bag etc) just to engender a feeling in the candidates that we're all in it together.
With Golds I'm usually operating out of a vehicle so I lob all my kit in a holdall and carry a daypack with hill stuff. I use a Berghaus Freeflow 36 as it keeps my back dry and is festooned with pockets (everything in its place and all that).
If I was carrying a big pack and setting up camp and needed a way of carrying day gear I think that an alpkit Gourdon is a good option. Mine is really comfy and weighs very little and can roll up and stow under the lid of a big pack.

Thanks for the Alpkit comment, I'll look into it.

I agree about Bronze solidarity, etc. Our policy is for Gold assessors to be oot and aboot because of the remote nature of some highland routes so the minibus option isn't one I currently (usually) have. Consequently, I'm yomping with the chaps/ chapesses. As I said in an earlier reply, I'm looking to spread the kit rather than add to its capacity - I usually carry too much "in case" as it is.

Dec 16, 2007
I have both the small and medium size ones but find I use the small the most. Had them for over a year and found they are great to carry my navigation kit from a GPS down to the compass. Also carry some GORP a field dressing and CAT (working with Parangs in the jungle)plus any other nice stuff (headnet gloves torch whistle batts etc) I use it for day walks with a day pack and upto multi day tabs with a sabre 45 or 75. Can also be worn in a 4x4 as an IA bag if you need to bail out rapid. the only problem I found is if you are in a hot humid area you will sweat and it will soak through too the contents of the RIBZ so any paper will get damp. I had a right in the rain note pad for my jungle nav and it ended up like a block of hard plastic paper and was totaly unusable. used mainly in tropical Australia and malaysia.

[video=youtube;QT2l_UPsY0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT2l_UPsY0k&list=UU70-RsRYxhMVX9Rd2s_EbNA[/video]

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the video. I didn't see the ribz, but I may have missed them. Do you have a more direct review of the it, please?

All the bet.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I agree about Bronze solidarity, etc. Our policy is for Gold assessors to be oot and aboot because of the remote nature of some highland routes so the minibus option isn't one I currently (usually) have. Consequently, I'm yomping with the chaps/ chapesses. As I said in an earlier reply, I'm looking to spread the kit rather than add to its capacity - I usually carry too much "in case" as it is.

At Gold I supervise rather than assess and we tend to do expeds in the Lakes or in Spain and are rarely far from civilisation. As such we tend to use a bunk house and base camp there (hence the hold all -not more kit as such just easier to access stuff). We normally only have a few k's to get on the hill and watch groups and are usually off in time to hit the pub for tea!
If I was more remote (like in the Asturias in Spain) then I bin the heavy daysack and use a light and packable one under the lid of a Bergen. I'm not convinced that I need enough stuff readily enough (other than map and compass) that sticking it in a daysack would be an inconvenience. Especially as from owning some awesome smocks over the years with chest pockets that became obsolete once I'd chucked a chest rig over them, I'm not sure I'd be happy to do the same with the breathable gear we wear for hill use. I'd also be worried about sweat management too, after all a backpack effectively stops breathabilty on the back.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The idea of having a supplementary pouch on your front is an interesting concept and one which a couple of manufacturers offer in the way of an option. I think Duluth Pack has one. But it reminds me of my very first backpack.

When I was in the Boy Scouts something like 55 years ago, I acquired and used a surplus US Army ammunition bag. It had two pouches, both without flaps. I believe it was intended for carrying two (or more) ammo boxes. You carried one in front and the other in the back. In theory the weight distribution is good but you don't want anything heavy on your chest like 25 pounds of machine gun ammunition. But Dick Proenneke used one, though not for backpacking. He used his for his camera equipment, mainly, until he began using an aluminum pack frame. He also used a surplus wooden army pack frame, too. That's what he used for "backpacking."

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I like mine, but don't over fill the pockets or its like wearing a life vest. Also when it's warm they get a bit sweaty.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Maybe take a sideways move, thought about a 'Grab Bag' ?

When DofE Supervising or Assesing away from the car, I have ; waterproof pad, bothybag, stove, brew kit, sweets, waterproofs, midge net, binocs etc. They all fit in one or two Army respirator bags but think I may switch to a grab bag. I mainly supervise canoe expeds, so always have kit in the boat in drybags anyway. I like walking or stopping and being able to access kit without having to take a big pack off search thru etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Briti...mmunition-Grab-Bag-Afghan-Issue-/390593000099

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Especially as from owning some awesome smocks over the years with chest pockets that became obsolete once I'd chucked a chest rig over them, I'm not sure I'd be happy to do the same with the breathable gear we wear for hill use. I'd also be worried about sweat management too, after all a backpack effectively stops breathabilty on the back.
The sweat issue is one I've been thinking about.
So far it's not an issue that has been raised.
I wonder if it'd be better to go with the small pack?
All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE