Does anyone know anything about "RIBZ" - front carriers/pockets for use with a pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
The idea of having a supplementary pouch on your front is an interesting concept and one which a couple of manufacturers offer in the way of an option. I think Duluth Pack has one. But it reminds me of my very first backpack.

When I was in the Boy Scouts something like 55 years ago, I acquired and used a surplus US Army ammunition bag. It had two pouches, both without flaps. I believe it was intended for carrying two (or more) ammo boxes. You carried one in front and the other in the back. In theory the weight distribution is good but you don't want anything heavy on your chest like 25 pounds of machine gun ammunition. But Dick Proenneke used one, though not for backpacking. He used his for his camera equipment, mainly, until he began using an aluminum pack frame. He also used a surplus wooden army pack frame, too. That's what he used for "backpacking."

Thanks for your input.
Wooden pack frame? Not my idea of joy, but no doubt ok if it's made to fit the wearer.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the idea of the kit bag.

I'm a bit reluctant to use camo kit for many reasons, but I will look into it.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've used RIBZ for nearly two years and love them. I have the second generation and the larger size. I have binoculars, notepad, camera, knife, compass, gps, strobe, map, torch, snacks and other bits and pieces, they work great. I've used them with and without a pack and love them. I have a camo version (real tree which I don't particularly like but in an emergency....) in the car holding my emeg kit.
I made one mod recently and made a net pouch to the rear of one side to act as a map holder. I carry my map in an outlieb case and find it a pain having to zip and unzip the pouch to get at my map. It means I sewed through the internal mesh pockets but it just means organisation is easier. No pics as I'm away from home.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't use ribz. But I do carry my camera bag on my chest, clipped to the shoulder straps. It's very useful for accessibility, but it does mean that I have a slightly obscured view of the ground. This is not a major problem, but something you may need to be aware of when using chest rigs.

Julia

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for that point. I don't think that te ribz would obscure downward vision, but I'm open to correction.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have a camo version (real tree which I don't particularly like but in an emergency....) in the car holding my emeg kit.

I made one mod recently and made a net pouch to the rear of one side to act as a map holder. I carry my map in an outlieb case and find it a pain having to zip and unzip the pouch to get at my map. It means I sewed through the internal mesh pockets but it just means organisation is easier. No pics as I'm away from home.

I agree about the camo version - not my first choice, either.

Additional pocket is a good idea, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE