Does anyone know anything about early Alternative Energy schemes in Cornwall?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Doing research for an assignment.

Today I was in Falmouth Uni Looking up the Camborne School of Mines Geothermal research.

But theres lots more.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The wind turbines at Delabole were pretty leading edge 30 yrs ago. May be worth contacting the Eden project .I think I read something a long time ago about them trying to produce all their energy needs, and trying several systems.
Cornwall could be pretty much self sufficient in energy with the goes thermal alone from what I've read... again years ago. Wonder why it's still not mainstream.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
First wind farm was set up in Delabole in 1991.

But I found a lone turbine dating from 1987. I dont know if the Trenculiacks (probably spelt wrong) was the first, but its a pretty old machine. (The Delabole turbines have been updated)

The Geothermal was a long project and very experimental. I think it failed due to lack of commercial interest, though I am uncertain. They got steam but never used it in a turbine.

There were a lot of sucesses with technologies and computing systems. It wasnt just the HDR system.

The Hot Rocks project is new and I dont know how it will go.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
there are a lot of prospective MP's going around spouting a lot of hot air, I don't know if that qualifies.:):)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What is the definition of Alternative Energy? Windmills have been used for a few thousand years!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Definition?
Energy that cost 10 x what 'non Alternative' costs, also needs a huge initial investment, which may or may not be recouped during the plants real life span.
Plus it relies heavily on high tech.

(my take :) )

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Can't help you with Cornwall, but I did a project on alternative power sources in agriculture in my final year at college in 1981, and there were commercial methane digesters available at that time, as well as wind turbines. Small scale hydro plants also have been available for many years. All these would be considered as "alternative". If it fits in with your own research, I would take a guess that hydro power could be the earliest, it certainly is where I live. Large scale estates were often the places that could afford it. Water power is now perceived as alternative, but it was once the norm, for powering mills etc.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I know its not in
Definition?
Energy that cost 10 x what 'non Alternative' costs, also needs a huge initial investment, which may or may not be recouped during the plants real life span.
Plus it relies heavily on high tech.

(my take :) )

Err, I'm under the impression that offshore wind is currently producing cheaper electricity than coal or even nuclear power.

The nuclear industry gets huge grants which arent so clearly defined on the balance sheets in the UK at least.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Britain produced more energy than it needed during the recent storm from the alternative energywe already have in place. The problem is that it cannot easily be stored when we have excess production and it cannot be switched between load demands when there are more more or less demands on the grid. If we put our tech into solving that problem we wouldn't have to build hinckley point which is already millions over budget and behind schedule. Why we don't look forward instead of hanging on so tight to technology that is proven to be dangerous I have no idea.
If a turbine failed dramatically and a blade came off for instance or a tower fell the damage would be so much less than a nuclear leak of any sort. Kinda makes sense to me to go for alternative energy big time. Let's lead the world! There are many places that are fully ecco energy and they don't have problems. I'm all for it myself. We realy don't need nuclear it's hype to make money for government and big business.
We had an earthquake last week centred only a few miles from hinckley. Imagine if we were to have a big one.... and it has happened in the past, admitted a couple of hundred years ago but these recent quakes (we also had one last year which is felt on exmoor ) prove it could happen again. A lot cheaper to repair a turbine or solar panels!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for your advice, I have lots of ideas for research.

Perhaps if we had less white goods we would need less electricity?

I am on a card system (probably overpriced) but a £10 card lasts me over a month.

But I own few electricity eating slaves.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
For sure, but what is the alternative?

By using as little as you do, surely you can not use less? Not without suffering. anyway.

You must not force yourself to try to be environment friendly and suffer because of that.....

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My bill was £65 this last quarter, and I have a 3 bed bungalow. It can be done!
My neighbors similar houses paid over £300 :) :) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE