Does anyone go camping on their own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There's a herd of cows near my fishing lake, some of them sound like a woman screaming-not a "moo" at all. God knows how the farmer sleeps at night.

Herons can sound and look like pteradactyls as the light is fading, one landed at my feet last year and had me worried for a couple of seconds-they are BIG birds when they are few feet from your face, with a dagger beak and outstretched wings.

The scariest noise for me is a loud "craaaack" when camping under a tree. Sod dog soldiers, I can fight them - I stand no chance against a falling tree or limb.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well, I remember camping at the NT site near Wasdale Head. On the walk back from the pub I went past these high dry stone walls and on one side there came a whole series of screams from women and children. Or at least that is what it sounded like to me. I didn't have my torch with me but I kind of got my night vision back so I was ok to walk down the raod and back to the tent where I knew exactly where myu torch was. However at this moment in time all I could do was creep up to the wall and look over as quietly as possible to see what was happening. Turns out the sheep at Wasdale head scream at night. Still I discovered that I could walk nearly as fast as I can run. You know that scared of the dark walk, you don't want to be seen running like a scared girl but you are so you do that really fast walking while trying to look like you are really big, scary and brave. Then you get into your tent and zip up feeling instantly safe!! At least I do once I'm in my tent and in my sleeping bag. I suppose I think that if there is somethign out to get me there is nothing I can do in my sleeping bag so might as well get some sleep.

The other thing is ear plugs. I know you go out to be close to nature and whatnot but if the noises are spooking you take the noises out of the equation early on in the evening before it gets too dark. As soon as dusk starts to get too dark I tuck up in my sleeping bag or quilt and put my mp3 player on then I take that out and put earplugs in then sleep like a baby. The best thing for solo camping scaredly cats like some on here (me included).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I camp out alone a lot, the vast majority of the time in fact. Although not quite alone - I always have my trusty hound with me. I've never felt scared in the woods at night. It feels very much at home to me. You do get the occasional rustling near camp in the middle of the night but if the dog isn't concerned - and he usually isn't - then neither am I.
My advice is try it, the thought of it is much worse than the reality.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I camp alone sometimes. I find it to be very satisfying. I can do whatever I want without consulting others. My life is "managed" by other enough as it is.
But I`m never afraid in the woods. I know I am the scariest creature out there.

Those of you who are afraid when sleeping alone in the wild are not alone however. I know plenty of people who are scared when alone in the woods at night (even in summer when it is daylight 24/7).

Tor

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
yup the barn owl is the one I hear but i only ever get to see and hear the little owl ona telegraph pole Almost friendly they are.

My favourite sound of all though (comforting and not spooky) is the call of the peacocks that have been kept near the woods...it is B-E-A-UTIFUL hearing them as the lazy summer day draws to a close and i'm staring at the woods all bathed in a summers evening glow (Ahhhh summer how we miss her)

little owl
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/littleowl/index.aspx

barn owl
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/barnowl/index.aspx

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
just got back off my recce,...

sorry no pics, it was flat and no time to charge as it was gettin dark,..

i found a nice place about 3/4 mile straight out the back door,...(i just plotted it on google maps and it is literally a straight line)

i hung around in the area i picked until the sun went down,..eeeasy! hahah

so i reckon saturday morning will see me , on the news having been killed by the monsters,..or on here posting pics and doing a report of my 1st solio tarp out,....

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Word up Raikey, get it on! have fun matey, think i might get myself out this weekend now,

Word up!!!??,,,Lmfao,..,,,

hhaha mate!,, i got visions of the guy from Cameo now with the red cod piece coming for me in the night,...

much scarier than the monsters.

Ok!! i got an idea now,,,,,we should do a comparison thread,..

"Raikey and Southey's night out comp"

do a poll and let folks vote on our set ups, food, equipment etc,.....

you up to it homes!! ?

you goin down man!! *cue rocky theme* da da daaaa, da da daaaaa

i think the distraction of the competition will take my mind off the monsters

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
HAHA cool, yeah why not, Ill have a soak on some spots as ive not found a local hide yet but ill be ready for the weekend matey, perhapse this could be the beginings of a new sport! CAMPOFF Crafters reeeaaady! kit Reeaady! Southey will go on my first whistle Raikey you will go on my second whistle,

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
lets get it owwwn!

lol ok,..

i,m just formulating my menu,...i think the "frois gras and sweet pea risotto" is gonna go ace on the trangia.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've only ever gone camping on my own and I love it. I used it as a relief from living in a grey war canoe in a 52 man mess deck. Personal space becomes important after that.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Erm,,,,ahem i mean a few scared people who have seen a chap running about in his pants,:p

backpedal.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE