Does anyone go camping on their own?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Allseasons

Right, I'm off this weekend to the woods! I've got the obvious, knife, flint striker etc. What else to make 2 nights of solitude interesting.....?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
billy, brew stuff,

and summat to whittle, nice bit o green wood ,..

Oh! and a nice breakfast menu,..

"Southeys grill" lol,...one slice of bacon and an egg,..

get the bacon goin in the billy drop the egg in and stir,...e voila,..

B

bushbarbie

I often go for a night alone out on the moors with my mountain bike, bivvy bag and dragonfly.

Depending on where you're going I'd say insect repellant is pretty much essential - though not in Yorkshire at this time of year. A warm pub before bedtime is my guilty secret.

B.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
One thing I find when I'm alone is that I tend not to put as much effort into cooking. It often seeems easier to get by with just a snack, whereas when you're in a
group then going to the bother of cooking up a proper meal seems somehow more worthwhile. Speaking of camping alone, I may be heading out soon to try some
bowhunting...I missed getting out for the regular deer season due to too much work, so the only option left is bow season which is open till new years. We have
a couple hundred square miles of wilderness in back of our place so if I set up a winter camp way back there I'll take some pics and post them for critiques..

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
In regards to Firelite's story, I didn't know till now that there are portable electric fences. How long would the battery last on one and what size battery might it take?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How long would the battery last on [a portable electric fence] and what size battery might it take?

How long is a piece of, er, electric fence? You only need a small current for a fence, and you can even get solar powered versions although, in the UK at least, solar power tends to be unreliable in places where electric fences tend to be used. Think in terms of the capacity of a 12V 10Ah motorcycle battery per week for a modest fence, but it obviously will depend on the size of the fence and how much current leaks from it on each pulse of power.

Google "portable electric fence", or see thisfor example, which suggests a 70Ah 'leisure' battery will power a substantial fence for several weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE